Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

HFS-1 Failsafe kicks in at launch and high rpm high boost

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 03:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFS-1 Failsafe kicks in at launch and high rpm high boost

My failsafe keeps kicking in whenever i launched. I turned the WL all the way counter clockwise and it seemed to fix the problem, although it did it one more random time after that. Also, if i try to run boost any higher than a 28psi spike, it will trigger the failsafe at around 6k rpms. Im using a tru-boost so once it hits failsafe, i have to hit the button on the tru-boost to reset the gauge/controller and have boost go back up. Currently the WL and WH are both turned "out" all the way.
Old May 19, 2008, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Can you tell me the serial number of your system, printed on the flow sensor. I like to check the "grace peiod" before the system is looking for methanol flow window.
Old May 29, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

I also found out that in 5th gear, playing around on the highway, the failsafe kicks in alot if i floor it. I floored it for a little bit in 5th gear and not much after i hit full boost, the failsafe kicked in
Old May 30, 2008, 01:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Can you try backing off the SC to read about 5 bars (~4 click counter clcokwise), it will allow the WH more room to manoeuvre.

Please let me know the serial number on the flow sensor so that I can check back the specifications of your system.
Old May 30, 2008, 09:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by paintballproam
My failsafe keeps kicking in whenever i launched. I turned the WL all the way counter clockwise and it seemed to fix the problem, although it did it one more random time after that. Also, if i try to run boost any higher than a 28psi spike, it will trigger the failsafe at around 6k rpms. Im using a tru-boost so once it hits failsafe, i have to hit the button on the tru-boost to reset the gauge/controller and have boost go back up. Currently the WL and WH are both turned "out" all the way.
Do you have the failsafe killing power to the EBC control box? It might be more convenient to have the failsafe interrupt the signal to the solenoid instead (the way I have mine).
Old May 30, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
Can you try backing off the SC to read about 5 bars (~4 click counter clcokwise), it will allow the WH more room to manoeuvre.

Please let me know the serial number on the flow sensor so that I can check back the specifications of your system.
Ok, right now its set so all but 2 bars light up
Old May 31, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

could having the SC set wrong make it so the failsafe kicks in at high boost/high rpm?

Edit: It hasnt kicked in at launch in a LONG time
Old May 31, 2008, 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor

The WL and WH reacts very fast when the SC crossed outside the set window. Can you tell me the serial number on the flow sensor so that I can check against the response time of your system.

Another possibility, If the flow sensor is too close to the ignition coil, it will pick up the radiated magnetic field and caused the flow sensor to read too high and high RPM.
Old May 31, 2008, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

The WL and WH reacts very fast when the SC crossed outside the set window. Can you tell me the serial number on the flow sensor so that I can check against the response time of your system.

Another possibility, If the flow sensor is too close to the ignition coil, it will pick up the radiated magnetic field and caused the flow sensor to read too high and high RPM.
Ill check the flow sensor asap, and its no where near to coil
Old Jun 1, 2008, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Richard - what exactly is the relationship between WH, WL and SC. I was under the impression that SC was simply for gauge scaling and did not think it effected WH and WL.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 01:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Once the sensor is scaled for a given flow (SC). The scale being 0.5V to 4.5V. This covers the range between 0-300cc/min to 0-1200cc/min.

WL= covering 0.6V to 2.5V in 20 clicks
WH - covering 2.5V to 4.5V in 20 clicks.

In some ways, the SC will affect the WL and WH if it is not calibrated to cover the system's flow range. SC is a control key within the micro's conversion table to either squeeze or stretch the constants in the table.

It might be complex way to tackle a simple job, but a flow sensor's output is not linear to flow. Look at the turbo charger's flow map for example. As we making good progress during last few years, since 2002. The performance of the sensor has exceeded any commercial flow sensors to date ( compared to the ones we studied).

The log you did confirmed it.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 01:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by paintballproam
Ill check the flow sensor asap, and its no where near to coil
Don't forget the serial number.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Once the sensor is scaled for a given flow (SC). The scale being 0.5V to 4.5V. This covers the range between 0-300cc/min to 0-1200cc/min.

WL= covering 0.6V to 2.5V in 20 clicks
WH - covering 2.5V to 4.5V in 20 clicks.

In some ways, the SC will affect the WL and WH if it is not calibrated to cover the system's flow range. SC is a control key within the micro's conversion table to either squeeze or stretch the constants in the table.

It might be complex way to tackle a simple job, but a flow sensor's output is not linear to flow. Look at the turbo charger's flow map for example. As we making good progress during last few years, since 2002. The performance of the sensor has exceeded any commercial flow sensors to date ( compared to the ones we studied).

The log you did confirmed it.

Just want to check to make sure I get what your saying. The SC is a parameter in the conversion from volts to CC, or maybe just flow sensor revolutions to volts rather.
So for example (I'm just guessing with numbers to get an idea, not trying to be accurate).

if the SC is all the way down, and flow v = 2.5 then cc ~ 150
if the SC is all the way up, and flow v = 2.5 then cc~ 500

In this way the SC is used to help "zero in" the 0.5V to 4.5V range into the actual flow range that is likely. So if someone only has one .3mm jet they will never go above .7v if not for SC scaling.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes, you can calibrate the sensor as you described. Within 100-1200cc/min, the result is repeatable, provided you don't change water/methanol concentration.

The 0.3mm (68cc/min) will register on our latest sensor (March 08 on), but we cannot guarantee repeatability. This is low flow for any type for turbine based sensor. The SC needs to be set to fully clockwise.
Old May 9, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Ok so update
Everything is still the same, still have the issue
If it matters at all, i have the dds3 v8