Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Making a MAC solenoid Plug & Play

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
hey dudical, do you know the MAC valve impedance off hand? i have one here that has burned up two DDS boards now and its pissing me off. it measures like 127ohm i think it was.
Hmm...thats odd. The MAC valve I have, I measured a while back and it was 25ohm. I use a resistor (5w 10ohm) in line with the solenoid. I have been controlling boost with this MAC for about a year with no problems. I have tried it in pretty much every configuration that there is and have not had any problems.

Try measuring the MAC valve again.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dudical26
I am pretty sure you can do this with one MAC valve and some clever wiring. How exactly does the ZAVT1 work? Does it simply supply voltage on a fail? Does it cut voltage on a fail? Does it have pass through's like pin 11 & 12 on the DDS3?
The Zavt output grounds a relay. Relay when grounded...powers any 12v device, ie mac valve. Good idea with the resistor...i don't have mine wired directly to the dds3 board. I use my DDS3 exclusively for map switching and flow sensor and i guess boost switching in the near future.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
The Zavt output grounds a relay. Relay when grounded...powers any 12v device, ie mac valve. Good idea with the resistor...i don't have mine wired directly to the dds3 board. I use my DDS3 exclusively for map switching and flow sensor and i guess boost switching in the near future.
In my new setup I don't have the MAC valve connected directly to the DDS3. The valve is connected 100% to the stock boost control harness and controlled by the stock ECU. I will be using the DDS3 only for map switching.

why not use the output from the ZAVT to switch maps on the ECU. You can get a normally closed relay that you connect to the ZAVT. You wire this relay in line with the output from the DDS3 going to the map switch harness. It will work so that if there is no ground from the ZAVT, the relay is closed and power is able to flow from the DDS3 into the ECU to switch maps. Then if there is a failure the ZAVT provides a ground signal which makes the relay drop the connection. Now power can no longer flow from the DDS3 into the ECU, and you switch back to pump gas maps.

I prefer to use electronics rather than extra boost controllers. Personally I find that whenever I try to use more than one boost solenoid it just complicates things and also makes the system respond slower as there is now a lot more vacuum line. Plus more vacuum line = potential area for leaks.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I am using the JackofTrades harness that switches maps for me. I agree with using ebc's versus mbc..
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
I am using the JackofTrades harness that switches maps for me. I agree with using ebc's versus mbc..
yea but you can still modify it to work how you want.

I have mine hooked up to another switch so that I can change maps manually even if my DDS3 is turned off. Useful for testing or for race gas map