Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Making a MAC solenoid Plug & Play

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making a MAC solenoid Plug & Play

Well I worked on making my MAC solenoid plug and play and I wanted to share with you guys how I did it. Credit goes out to fostytou for this idea. He did it already with his AEM true boost solenoid, I just wanted to point out to everyone how well it would work with a HFS & Tephra Alt Map setup.

I use the MAC solenoid to replace the factory boost controller. I use it in the way most people use a GM vavle, I just prefer the MAC valve. I also will use the tehpra ALT map patch to switch to pump map and cut boost in the event of a failsafe condition.

To start, first you will need the connector. I got this off an old lancer. It should be the same on all late model mitsu cars. I simply removed the pressure sensor from the air conditioning line. This is the sensor that plugs in half way along the AC line on the passanger side of the car near the motor mount, seen here

You need to cut the top of the plug in half so that you can pull of the metal and expose the guts underneath. Then you will need to pull out all of the guts of the sensor leaving only the two contancts for the pins. Bend these up so they are easier to solder on to.

http://thefrost.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4019

I soldered a 10 ohm, 5 watt resistor to one prong. Then connect the wires from the MAC valve to the other prong and the other side of the resistor.

Test your connections to make sure that they work and the valve behaves as expected.

I then put hut glue inside the back of the plug to seal it all up. I put some heat shrink over the resistor as well.

I then used hot glue to build up onto the resistor to hold it in place. The resistor is pretty large so it took a while. Once you done with that, I put heat shrink over the entire plug and resistor assembly.

Pictures can be seen here

Last edited by dudical26; Aug 22, 2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats the benefit of using the mac valve like that when your using ecu controlled boost and map switching? Also what is the benefit of using a mac valve in that location if you have a mbc etc.

basically I'm just trying to figure out what exactly this would do for me/everyone else

you are talking about the mac valve that's used for failsafe right?

that is cool plug n play but it's just two wires a positive and a negative
Old Sep 2, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

My MAC valve does everything when it comes to boost for my car. It replaced the stock BCS. It controls my boost through ECU direct boost control. If there is a failsafe event, my maps switch to pump gas map and the MAC valve now regulates boost at a lower level.

The advantage is I need only one MAC valve to have Meth or pump gas boost levels, and it can switch on the fly in the event of a failsafe condition.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
My MAC valve does everything when it comes to boost for my car. It replaced the stock BCS. It controls my boost through ECU direct boost control. If there is a failsafe event, my maps switch to pump gas map and the MAC valve now regulates boost at a lower level.

The advantage is I need only one MAC valve to have Meth or pump gas boost levels, and it can switch on the fly in the event of a failsafe condition.
Hmm interesting. So instead of using say the gm solenoid, aem etc. your able to do ecu controlled boost with the mac valve? So say you could do alt map switching with it? Sorry I'm slightly confused on if your only using the mac valve to cut to wastgate

I've already got a mac valve if I could un hook my mbc and run ecu controlled boost that's pretty cool
Old Sep 4, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Boost would not be cut to wastegate pressure but rather it would be cut to my pump gas boost of 25psi.

The MAC valve controls my boost, in exactly the same way the GM solenoid works. It plugs into my factory boost control harness which allows it to be controlled by the ECU. I tune the ECU for my target meth boost of 33 psi. I have the DDS3 connected to my ECU using Jack_Of_Trades Alt Map harness.

If there is a failsafe trigger, the DDS3 will tell the ECU to switch to the base map, which in this case is my pump gas map. This means that the MAC valve is still being controlled by my ECU but now it is boosting to only 25 psi instead of 33.

Basically the setup allows me to run only one solenoid and not have to make anychanges at all if I want to switch from pump to meth. All I would have to do, it push the button on the DDS3 gauge and that will switch turn on the meth kit and switch my map to the meth map, which in turn raises boost to 33psi.

Push the button to turn the kit off, and its back to pump gas map and boost.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

And you cannot do that with a GM BCS dudical26? Sorry, I'm just starting to look into the ecu based portion of the boost control. I have meth now as well. And have some catching up to do. Are there any other benefits of using the mac valve over the GM BCS?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

You can do all of that with the GM solenoid as well. I just like the mac valve because it is cheaper (when you factor in the cost of the GM pigtail) and much higher quality. It also has screw on fittings to accomodate more applications.

Originally Posted by Asmodeus6
And you cannot do that with a GM BCS dudical26? Sorry, I'm just starting to look into the ecu based portion of the boost control. I have meth now as well. And have some catching up to do. Are there any other benefits of using the mac valve over the GM BCS?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
You can do all of that with the GM solenoid as well. I just like the mac valve because it is cheaper (when you factor in the cost of the GM pigtail) and much higher quality. It also has screw on fittings to accomodate more applications.
It makes me think about doing this because I already have the mac valve I've got the alt.map harness(jack of trades) so I need to look at doing ecu controlled boost at my current 28psi and get a pump map 24psi or so

Last edited by wesside; Sep 16, 2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm lazy.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

So no more cutting to wastegate? Where does this piece you made plug into?

I have an extra mac valve and have been thinking of having one to cut boost to wastegate as it sits now and the other to control boost. That way I can still have my zeitronix in the mix. I know it's redundant but I would rather be overly cautious.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder

I have an extra mac valve and have been thinking of having one to cut boost to wastegate as it sits now and the other to control boost. That way I can still have my zeitronix in the mix. I know it's redundant but I would rather be overly cautious.
I think it plugs in to the same clip that plugs into the stock mbc?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wesside
I'm actually going to be working on something myself, and not use the mac valve. I really like it cutting to wastegate instantly. I'm gonna do some research tonight, hopefully all goes well.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

hey dudical, do you know the MAC valve impedance off hand? i have one here that has burned up two DDS boards now and its pissing me off. it measures like 127ohm i think it was.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder

I am pretty sure you can do this with one MAC valve and some clever wiring. How exactly does the ZAVT1 work? Does it simply supply voltage on a fail? Does it cut voltage on a fail? Does it have pass through's like pin 11 & 12 on the DDS3?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wesside
that's correct.

Quick Reply: Making a MAC solenoid Plug & Play