Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Supporting mods before I go meth?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supporting mods before I go meth?

Just wondering what all I might need before I install the meth injection kit. My current mods are: BR TBE, Megan o2, test pipe, K&N intake conversion, evo9 MBC, AMS LICP, HKS 272 cams, Ferrea springs/retainers, walbro, tune on 91.

Anything I should add or change before I go meth?
Old Aug 27, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

when upping the boost many say its a really good idea to add head studs as a cheap insurance..while there are some who have been running high boost with oem head studs. But im sure most would agree to upgrade to arp head studs.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:13 AM

I preferr a way to controll boost and air/fuel ratios and thats all thats needed for it.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which kit are you planning on using?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

im actually interested too. i have an hsf1 waiting to b installed with - intake/tbe, o2, ix turbo, gm bcs, ix dv, works 269 cams, walbro. was wondering if its a good idea to get an upgraded wga / fuel injectors / aftermarket bov. any thoughts?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nood1es
when upping the boost many say its a really good idea to add head studs as a cheap insurance..while there are some who have been running high boost with oem head studs. But im sure most would agree to upgrade to arp head studs.

yep go with headstuds and I've got some that have 3,000 miles on them if anyone needs them $50 but anyway I'm not trying to sell anything so don't take this as I am.

Get headstuds and go with a colder plug I run ngkbpr8es at .25 gap

you could run meth injection with a stock motor if you wanted of course other mods are going to help the most important thing is a failsafe so you can use a macvalve depending on what kit you have (I recommend aquamist what I run) or you could even do alt map switching patch via tephra but most important...failsafe and a tune

it varies on what mods ppl have with kits, I've got injectors, pump, cams, piping, evo 9 turbo and lots more
Old Sep 1, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Wesside, your numbers look pretty conservative considering the mods you have. I am pushing 340hp on the stock 8 turbo. I would think you would be closer to the 400hp mark. Did you just go with a conservative tune for longevity?

Edit: I just saw you were on a mustang dyno, so I retract my last statement.

Last edited by Vibrant; Sep 1, 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vibrant
Wesside, your numbers look pretty conservative considering the mods you have. I am pushing 340hp on the stock 8 turbo. I would think you would be closer to the 400hp mark. Did you just go with a conservative tune for longevity?

Edit: I just saw you were on a mustang dyno, so I retract my last statement.
that's on a Mustang Dyno so yea it's over 400 on other dyno's and I could've hit 400 on that heart breaker dyno if I would've tuned it at 32lbs

on my stock 8 turbo I was over 400 on a dynapack and before meth injection on just my stock 8 turbo and stock injectors I was 362

EDIT: Saw you edited your post so ignore me then
Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
over 400whp on a stock turbo is always impressive, even with meth injection. Wes' car is a beast though and his performs better than the average car with the same mods. I agree that arp head studs and the NGK 8's gapped to 0.022-0.25" are a good recommendation.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wesside

yep go with headstuds and I've got some that have 3,000 miles on them if anyone needs them $50 but anyway I'm not trying to sell anything so don't take this as I am.

Get headstuds and go with a colder plug I run ngkbpr8es at .25 gap

you could run meth injection with a stock motor if you wanted of course other mods are going to help the most important thing is a failsafe so you can use a macvalve depending on what kit you have (I recommend aquamist what I run) or you could even do alt map switching patch via tephra but most important...failsafe and a tune

it varies on what mods ppl have with kits, I've got injectors, pump, cams, piping, evo 9 turbo and lots more

I just saw this post now. This is actually contrary to generally accepting meth injection practices. You see meth removes A LOT of heat from the combustion process and as such you don't need to run colder plugs. The heat rating on plugs refers to how much heat they remove from the cylinder. When you do a lot of mods that tends to increase combustion temps, as such you want to install colder plugs to reduce that temp. However, methanol injection will remove heat as well, and it is overkill to have both meth injection and colder plugs. That would be the same thing as installing plugs that were 2 or 3 steps colder.

Gapping the plugs down may be needed though. If you run more boost you might experience some missfires unless you reduce the gap, that is really a triel and error thing. Don't reduce the gap unless you exprience missfires.

I am also going to have to disagree with the head stud reccomendation. Or at least provide an alternative view point. I personally run meth with 33 psi of boost on the stock turbo without headstuds, and I am not alone. There are a good number of people running similar boost without studs. As long as the tune is good and you dont get knock you wont need head studs.

Last edited by dudical26; Sep 10, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The colder heat range is recommended only because people push the limits with the boost levels and more aggressive timing which sqelchs the 'cooler' concept. That, in combination with the higher combustion chamber pressures usually benefits with the colder plugs. Don't forget, most people run meth as an octane booster which doesn't have the cooling effect that water has so you aren't really getting any advantage there.
I can run 7's at 24psi on pump but i can't at 28psi with meth. Well, I can but I can push the tune further with the 8's before I get break-up.

To assume that a tune will never experience knock is risky. The headstuds are added insurance, not a necessity. Well worth the 100 bucks IMO.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Sep 10, 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truth is meth burns colder, it doesnt remove heat as much as say; water. Water is the agent that removes a majority of the heat inside the cylinder therefore making 50/50 mixture a great reliable combo.

Plugs are hit and miss depending on how you gap them and what you car likes. If you have a VIII go cheap and get coppers they work very well and are cheap. When its time to change plugs try one step colder if it helps great, if not no harm done at least you know.

Headstuds have some to do with knock but mostly the pressure from the added boost can but not always cause the head to lift. So I agree with Jackoftrades added insurance, you never know when it could lift.

Good luck!

Evan Smith