Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

HELP! Aquamist HSF-5 4mm tubing leaks!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008 | 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

HELP! Aquamist HSF-5 4mm tubing leaks!

Ok, so I was troubleshooting some irregular flow sensor datalogs and I manually triggered the kit and ALL of the 4mm fittings are leaking like a bastard. I am driving over 2.5 hours to the track on Friday and I have NOOO idea where to buy this stuff. Its 4mm (0.157") but when I measured it with my calipers its really 3.92mm (0.154"). If somewhere has 5/32" (0.156") that would save my butt. Who sells this stuff, or did anyone find a good fix to make the 4mm tubing seal up?

Thanks guys
Old Oct 1, 2008 | 09:02 PM
EvoM Moderator

I've *never* seen this stuff leak unless it is a bad connection. Try cutting off the portion that sticks into the fitting (about 1cm ?) GENTLY with a razor blade, and then insert whats left of the line.
Old Oct 1, 2008 | 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Totally did that like 5 times now, not the solution here. I was even careful enough to not turn the line and create a scoured ring around the tubing which might cause the leak. I found plenty of stuff online with people saying they leak but no solutions that I can find (of course).

I've replaced the lines completely with remaining scraps from my install and it leaks just the same. Its literally leaking on EVERY 4mm fitting, none of the 6mm lines leak one bit though.
Old Oct 1, 2008 | 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

JOT,

been running 4mm lines for several years on an old install and for about a year on a new install, none leak. All I can think is you have some bad tubing.
I'd send you what I have left over but it will never get there in time.

call for some one local, hope you get some.
Old Oct 1, 2008 | 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Got it all fixed. Its definitely some bad tubing, the O.D. is just small enough to cause a poor seal.

solution:

I took a precision philips head screwdriver (the kind in sunglass repair kits) and held the hose about 3/4" from the end with needle nose pliers. I then forced the screwdriver inside the tubing while slowly turning it so it would reform and expand the tubing with a larger O.D. Worked like a charm. I'll end up getting some better tubing soon but this will get me by until after the track

I'll take a pic of what I did later for any future issues members might have.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Oct 2, 2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2008 | 11:14 AM
EvoM Moderator

Awesome, glad you got it figured out! Nice idea on the screwdriver!
Old Oct 2, 2008 | 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

You can order new tubing from us. You should replace all your tubing 6-12 months as it gets hard. Methonal slip through cracks easyer than water. Good luck!

Evan Smith
Old Oct 2, 2008 | 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VividRacing.com
You can order new tubing from us. You should replace all your tubing 6-12 months as it gets hard. Methonal slip through cracks easyer than water. Good luck!

Evan Smith
Nice, now I assume this isn't the exact stuff that came with my kit right? I ask because I've only had it installed for a month and this happened so its not from age, its from the line being too small in diameter for some reason. Is it possible for you to measure the O.D. of the lines you have in stock with calipers so I knew the exact O.D. (ex: 0.157" or 4.00mm) so I know if I will be any better off or not? Nice site BTW.
Old Oct 2, 2008 | 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Nice, now I assume this isn't the exact stuff that came with my kit right? I ask because I've only had it installed for a month and this happened so its not from age, its from the line being too small in diameter for some reason. Is it possible for you to measure the O.D. of the lines you have in stock with calipers so I knew the exact O.D. (ex: 0.157" or 4.00mm) so I know if I will be any better off or not? Nice site BTW.
It is the exact stuff from Aquamist, we order it from them. What you want to do is make the line loose when you first install it. After wear and tear happens you can cut a little each time off the end so it seals properly.

Are you using 100% meth? If so that will cause the lines to be prone to leaking 2x's as fast as a 50/50 mixture.
Old Oct 2, 2008 | 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Ideally, the best hose to use a telfon, inert to most chemicals. It is available from McMaster Carr. Warning, it is not cheap.

We have little control over the hose or connector, we have to rely on our supplier's quality control. There are no quick-fit connector made specially for 100% methanol use.

We are constantly looking for better sources of hose and connectors.
Old Oct 4, 2008 | 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
Ideally, the best hose to use a telfon, inert to most chemicals. It is available from McMaster Carr. Warning, it is not cheap.

We have little control over the hose or connector, we have to rely on our supplier's quality control. There are no quick-fit connector made specially for 100% methanol use.

We are constantly looking for better sources of hose and connectors.
Cool, my company sells stuff in McMaster Carr so we get a discount so I'll see what I can get thru them.
Old Oct 4, 2008 | 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Jamie, this is indeed good news.
Old Oct 4, 2008 | 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

There is Teflon FEP and Teflon PFA, which is best for meth??
Old Oct 4, 2008 | 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

they are both inert to methyl alcohol

go with PFA, its got slight edge over FEP for temperature
Old Oct 6, 2008 | 08:09 PM
EvoM Moderator

Damn you! One of my lines developed a leak! I had a short, 2" section going between the valve and flow meter, I think it was bent a little too far/under too much stress over the last 7 months. Swapped in a little extra tubing I had, and used the screwdriver method on it for good measure. No leaks.

I noticed because my flowmeter was down slightly under WOT from where it normally is. I logged a *slight* change in AFR, about .4-.6 on my wideband, any more and I'm sure my failsafe would have kicked in. It started to get cold here in MN, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Quick Reply: HELP! Aquamist HSF-5 4mm tubing leaks!