Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

nitrous controllers? (dynotune or AEM EMS)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nitrous controllers? (dynotune or AEM EMS)

im very interested in installing a dynotune efi wet shot (50-75) never bigger. the question is whats my best bet on controlling all this.. a buddy of mine uses a dynotune tps activated window switch and seems to have good results, but i know that aem ems has a nitrous control system on it (my car is running ems)... im just lookin for feed back from people whos have experience with these products to maybe help make my decision. thanks guys...
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

With the AEM EMS you have features/functionality built in that do not require you to purchase more add on hardware that's above then whats supplied in most base nitrous dry shot kits in order to have something that works pretty dam good.

I think the AEM EMS directions anticipate the user using a dry shot and then using separate fuel MAP for fuel enrichment........so you may need to have properly sized injectors that can meet off nitrous needs as well as WOT nitrous needs, no real big deal unless you get real greedy with the nitrous jet. Look into seeing how much room you have with your current injectors. If your injectors are not going to support a dry nitrous shot then go a head a set things up for a wet shot.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

How about both..
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsr0801
How about both..
Go to the AEM site and download the software package, once its installed on the PC there's a sub directory that includes several manuals worth looking at. The download is free (its the hardware that costs). Check out the instructions for hooking up and controlling nitrous........not much more then a base nitrous kit is needed if running the AEM.

Below is the wiring = simple

Below is from the manual

User Definable Options for Nitrous

NOS Control
Units: On/Off
Description: This option enables the nitrous control. Set this ON to allow nitrous to become active.

NOS Switch In
Units: Switch Input
Description: This sets the input request for nitrous to become active under the set conditions.

NOS Output
Units: User definable output
Description: This sets the output which activates the relay for the nitrous control solenoid.

NOS Off above Load
Units: Engine Load
Description: Above this engine load the EMS will deactivate the nitrous control. This can be used to spool a turbocharger, which will turn OFF the nitrous once the desired boost has been reached, or as a safety measure to prevent the nitrous from being active in an overboost situation. When the engine reaches this load point, the EMS will cut the active signal to the nitrous relay, and disable any trims that have been set. Set this to its maximum allowable pressure to be active.

NOS Reinstate Load
Description: Hysteresis condition for nitrous load conditions. Must be set higher than NOS Off Below Load option and lower then the NOS Off Above Load condition.

NOS Off Below Load
Description: The nitrous control will be OFF when below this engine load. Note: The nitrous will not necessarily be ON when above this engine load.

NOS Overrev Off
Units: RPM
Description: Nitrous will be activated only when the engine speed is below this value. This is an over-rev type function that should disable the nitrous under unsafe engine conditions or when on the rev limiter.

NOS Overrev On
Units: RPM
Description: Hysteresis condition for nitrous overrev condition. Must be set below lower then NOS Overrev Off option

NOS On Above TPS
Units: Throttle %
Description: Above this number, the nitrous will be active. Set this number just above the NOS Off Bellow TPS option

NOS Off Bellow TPS
Units: Throttle %
Description: Below this number, the nitrous will be active. Set this number just below the NOS On Above TPS option

NOS Maximum VSS
Units: Vehicle Speed
Description: Above this number, the nitrous will be deactivated. Set this number above the NOS Minimum VSS option

NOS Minimum VSS
Units: Vehicle Speed
Description: Below this number, the nitrous will be deactivated. Set this number below the NOS Maximum VSS option

3-D Maps for Nitrous

NOS Fuel MAP
Units: Engine load vs Engine Speed vs Fuel %
Description: This map allows a percentage of additional fuel to be added or subtracted from the base map when the nitrous options become active. This map allows adjustment over engine speed and engine load.

NOS Ignition MAP
Units: Engine load vs Engine Speed vs Degrees
Description: This map allows ignition timing to be advanced or retarded against the base ignition map with the nitrous control active. This map is adjustable over engine speed and engine load.

Parameters (can be viewed or logged)

Nitrous
Units: On/Off
Description: Displays the current status of the nitrous function

Nitrous fuel
Units: Fuel %
Description: Displays the current amount of fuel added or subtracted from the NOS Fuel map

Nitrous Spark
Units: Degrees
Description: Displays the current amount of ignition timing advanced or retarded the NOS Ignition map

Note: All of the nitrous options must be met for the EMS to activate the selected output and add the fuel and ignition trims. IF any one of the options falls out of their ON conditions, the control will be disabled.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:28 PM
Account Disabled

i love the dynotune controllers, i use one on our shop cobra and its a great little unit...
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Also, how about a HFS-1 kit with 100 methanol with an input from the DDS3 to AEM???

Use the nitrous dry shot, and supplement the needed additional fuel with methanol being supplied by the HFS-1. Since the methanol has a 118 octane value it might not be a bad idea. Probably could be wired up so that for non nitrous activation the HFS-1 could work normally with a smaller jet..........with nitrous, a user could swap in a larger jet to help supplement the existing injectors with additional high octane fuel.....they always say its a good idea to race gas with nitrous, except methanol is cheaper and easier to get and if any is left over its not wasted in being used in a non WOT situation.

Have not tried it but it make sense at this moment.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aqmist
Also, how about a HFS-1 kit with 100 methanol with an input from the DDS3 to AEM???

Use the nitrous dry shot, and supplement the needed additional fuel with methanol being supplied by the HFS-1. Since the methanol has a 118 octane value it might not be a bad idea. Probably could be wired up so that for non nitrous activation the HFS-1 could work normally with a smaller jet..........with nitrous, a user could swap in a larger jet to help supplement the existing injectors with additional high octane fuel.....they always say its a good idea to race gas with nitrous, except methanol is cheaper and easier to get and if any is left over its not wasted in being used in a non WOT situation.

first off just wanna say thanks, i didn't ever know if any one would answer my thread ... and its funny you should say that, i hope to button up my hfs-1 kit this weekend... and speaking of running a dry shot with supplemental fuel provided by the aem/installed injectors.. im only running 880cc's so would feel safer with a wet shot... i hoped to run a pump gas meth tune for just straight boost , and only run race gas with the spray... im very interested in what you speak of above about using the hfs-1 to supplement the needed fuel , is this something you have done before???
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aqmist

first off just wanna say thanks, i didn't ever know if any one would answer my thread ... and its funny you should say that, i hope to button up my hfs-1 kit this weekend... and speaking of running a dry shot with supplemental fuel provided by the aem/installed injectors.. im only running 880cc's so would feel safer with a wet shot... i hoped to run a pump gas meth tune for just straight boost , and only run race gas with the spray... im very interested in what you speak of above about using the hfs-1 to supplement the needed fuel , is this something you have done before???
Old Dec 4, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with aqumist 100%. No need for anything else. No point for any little dynotune bits or anything.

From what he posted the AEM gives you AMAZING control over Nitrous that you will not get with any other combo of parts. It would be great for controlling nitrous or meth kit as he mentions.

The alt/nitrous map really gives you a lot of options.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys great info!!!