Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

going blind from methanol inhalation- is this a risk with vented container lids?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going blind from methanol inhalation- is this a risk with vented container lids?

This is a serious concern I have after reading about methanol exposure and blindness, as well as digestive organ failure, respiratory problems etc. from contact with methanol (not just consuming it but also vapor inhalation as well).
*****I have to point out that I am not worried about just randomly becoming blind some time soon by having a vented container in my trunk, but more the long term effects of it- and also I am curious how much vapor emmision it produces that would contaminate the in-cabin air*****
Being a health care worker I am a little paranoid about breathing this stuff so I am going to order a gas and vapor respirator mask to help filter what I breath while re-filling ithe container (no joke! ) and also non-vented goggles to protect my eyes (another thing I read is that its a bad idea to have contact lenses in while exposed to it). Am I just being paranoid? Long term exposure is not good so I want to minimize the amount I breath. How many of you methanol users are worried about any of these things? I mean obviously I would refill my tank outdoors in open air, but a lot of people recommend the vented lids for the containers which could expell gasses into the cabin, right? Or is that not so?
Also, can anyone provide me with a link for how to build a vent from the container lid to outside (from a trunk-mounted location)? The kit is going on next week, so maybe I am just being over-cautious, but I am new to methanol kits and for the short time it takes to refill them I dont car if I look like a jack-*** wearing a mask and goggles if it means I wont go blind some day! Just want to make sure i have a set-up that won't be detrimental to my long-term health if I breath this stuff pretty often!

Last edited by DJ Brett B; Apr 15, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im buying a meth kit soon and was thinking about the vented cap deal. I had no idea about the health factors but I just thought it would be better to vent it outside. I think the easiest way is to go buy either some kind of raccord fitting or vacuum fitting and drill the cap. See its plastic threading its easy just push hard and turn. Im going to use 1/8 vacuum line. Most likely get everything at a auto parts store. But thats just me.

Also Ive been wondering what the best mixture to run is and Im leaning towards 75% water 25% meth so its the least meth as possible. Wondering what you think sorry its off topic.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:10 PM
Account Disabled

methanol is oxidized by the liver to form formaldehyde which then is rapidly oxidized again to form formic acid which is what is responsible for the delayed clinical signs seen (acidosis, ocular and cns lessions due to cytochrome oxidase inhibition)...so yea the stuff is definitely toxic and it definitely shouldn't be inhaled but the minute amounts that would be leaking out into the cabin are would really be diluted out so its not a huge issue in that sense but say you had a leak in a line...thats a big problem...
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I worried about that. In fact, the vapor made my eyes water with a normal set up. I have a fuel cell now for the meth and an external vent so more breathing fumes.[IMG][/IMG]
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
My girlfriend who is chem-bio says that it will cause blindness only if swallowed but the vapors are still harmful
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jesus crimony, if you are that worried about it then don't get it. Holy **** guys, eating too much salt can also cause you to go blind, do you eat at McDonald's? The only way you're going to get any wiff of the methanol in the cabin is if you -

1. Have a leak (if you have had a leak, you know what I'm talking about).
2. Spill it during refill - easy solution, get one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Tools-B.../dp/B000HEBR3I (believe me when I say this is probably the best $20 I have spent in a LONG time, it reaches the bottom of 6 gallon jugs no problem).
3. Do something stupid.

I've had a vented cap on two set-ups. First was the one with three of the 6 quart containers and the only time I smelled methanol was when it leaked (my suggestion is if you're going to get a kit, contact the guys at Flambeau and pay to have the fitting hot plate welded, it will never leak as it's part of the container). My second set-up is one 4 gallon container with a vented cap, I don't ever smell the methanol and neither do my two little girls or wife (unless there is a leak and then everyone knows immediately. If you've smelled methanol, you know the smell enough to be able to tell when you have a leak. NO, you won't smell it in the cabin (or the trunk for that matter) with a vented cap. I've been running methanol on various cars for 6 years and I can still see pretty good for as much exposure as I've had...totally kidding
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I worried about that. In fact, the vapor made my eyes water with a normal set up. I have a fuel cell now for the meth and an external vent so more breathing fumes.[IMG][/IMG]
I like that fuel cell. Any chance you can post a link to where you bought it from?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

If you are worried about the health effects of methanol you can always use windshield wiper fluid as an alternative.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dam i just got alot of new knowledge from using meth and stuff
Old Apr 16, 2009, 03:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by pure_evo
I like that fuel cell. Any chance you can post a link to where you bought it from?
I got it from Summit Racing. It's a 1 gallon Jr. Dragster cell. The benefits are that you don't get any vapors in the car and you don't have to worry as much about a fire should you be involved in an accident that leaves the car with the shiny side down (which for most set-ups would result in the methanol pouring into the trunk out the vented cap). My car is tracked, so I didn't want to take any chances. Also, when I had a Flambeau tank, there was so much sloshing around that the meth delivery was erratic unless the tank was nearly full.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I got it from Summit Racing. It's a 1 gallon Jr. Dragster cell. The benefits are that you don't get any vapors in the car and you don't have to worry as much about a fire should you be involved in an accident that leaves the car with the shiny side down (which for most set-ups would result in the methanol pouring into the trunk out the vented cap). My car is tracked, so I didn't want to take any chances. Also, when I had a Flambeau tank, there was so much sloshing around that the meth delivery was erratic unless the tank was nearly full.
Thanks. I'll be running the Aquamist kit and I assume I'll still be able to plug my low-level sensor in this particular fuel cell, right? It sure does look sexy.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Jesus crimony, if you are that worried about it then don't get it. Holy **** guys, eating too much salt can also cause you to go blind, do you eat at McDonald's? The only way you're going to get any wiff of the methanol in the cabin is if you -

1. Have a leak (if you have had a leak, you know what I'm talking about).
2. Spill it during refill - easy solution, get one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Tools-B.../dp/B000HEBR3I (believe me when I say this is probably the best $20 I have spent in a LONG time, it reaches the bottom of 6 gallon jugs no problem).
3. Do something stupid.

I've had a vented cap on two set-ups. First was the one with three of the 6 quart containers and the only time I smelled methanol was when it leaked (my suggestion is if you're going to get a kit, contact the guys at Flambeau and pay to have the fitting hot plate welded, it will never leak as it's part of the container). My second set-up is one 4 gallon container with a vented cap, I don't ever smell the methanol and neither do my two little girls or wife (unless there is a leak and then everyone knows immediately. If you've smelled methanol, you know the smell enough to be able to tell when you have a leak. NO, you won't smell it in the cabin (or the trunk for that matter) with a vented cap. I've been running methanol on various cars for 6 years and I can still see pretty good for as much exposure as I've had...totally kidding
Right on, thanks for your feedback- I have not installed my kit yet and didnt know what to expect using a vented cap. Makes me feel a bit less paranoid though, I'll just be careful handling it and refilling the container... on a side note I actually don't eat McDonalds food because of how unhealthy it is Thanks for the feedback!
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

If you are worried about the health effects of methanol you can always use windshield wiper fluid as an alternative.
I would prefer to due to the fact its already mixed, easy to find and cheap (I read about which types to look for)... the only concern is since they probably dont use distilled water when making it, it may eventually lead to a clogged nozzle. That is the concern anyway, but has it actually happened to anybody?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Thanks. I'll be running the Aquamist kit and I assume I'll still be able to plug my low-level sensor in this particular fuel cell, right? It sure does look sexy.
Look closely at my picture and you'll see the Aquamist parts. You do need to drill the holes of course and rig up a bracket.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

So I just went and picked up a 5 gallon container of methanol and the kid who helped me said they mix their own windshield wiper fluid using the big drums of meth. I asked him if he ever wears a vapor mask and he was like "nope, I actually really like the smell of of it! Nobody has ever told me I should or anything... I'll probably end up with cancer or something tho! lol" I didnt tell him about the blindness thing, he seemed like he was having a good day lol. I suppose if I shield my eyes and wear gloves and pour it outdoors (just bought a funnel to make it easy) then it shouldnt likely be too bad to handle for a minute while I pour it.

Quick Reply: going blind from methanol inhalation- is this a risk with vented container lids?