Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

hfs6 flow not linear? screenshot inside

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2009 | 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

hfs6 flow not linear? screenshot inside

It's always kind of bugged me that the flow from my hfs-6 didn't seem to match duty cycles but I finally got off my *** to post it, can anyone, or Richard take a look at this and tell me if it's normal? I've got a .8 and .9 jet and running the biggest restrictor. It also seems like I can't run anywhere near as much timing as some of the other maps i've seen, it's 50/50 on an evo 6 with tomei arms turbo and 272 cams. boost peaks at 27ish psi and drops to 26.

Last edited by burnzy; Dec 24, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2009 | 12:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Hello Burnzy, merry Christmas.

On the ZTX plot can you tell me where you tapped the HFS-6 signal from? If possible can you use another colour for the ZTX line, it is very close to the DC%.

Please take a picture of the trimmers on the circuit board so I can see the trimmer configuration.
Old Dec 25, 2009 | 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the reply richard merry Christmas to you too, all trimmers were set to midway for that run. it is tapped to where you told me last time, off the user port. When not running it sits at .51 volts which I think you said was correct? do you think this is normal? I've seen other peoples gauges on youtube when they do a run and it looks about the same, progresses quickly then sits at one point.

by the way the ztx user is the sensor voltage and is the one that sits flat, not the one that goes up to 70ish%

Last edited by burnzy; Dec 25, 2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2009 | 02:28 AM
Former Sponsor

I remembered, you have tapped into the water flow sensor signal. The voltage (~0.5V) is correct.

As the flow sesnor and inline valve are constructed into one unit (FCM), it is not easy to trackdown an isolated problem such as partial clogged due to debris or meachanical anomalies. This can be due to initial assembly or in service. As soon as the office re-opens (4th January), I will send you a new FCM, it is far simplier.
Old Dec 26, 2009 | 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

seriously Richard, you make me thankful I went for aquamist every time!

so that curve isn't normal eh? it's been like that ever since new though :\

Do you want me to PM you my address or would you still have it?
Old Dec 27, 2009 | 01:13 AM
Former Sponsor

The curve is not very well defined, I can see the top of the ramp is chopped off.

Can you rescale the 0-5V input, perhaps x5, I can see the ramp better. The SC seemed to be set to a point where the actual flow signal is over-ampified. What is the SC setting on the gauge?

It is worth do this first before we take a closer look at the hardware. You will be well looked when you have an Aquamist system.

Last edited by Richard L; Dec 27, 2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2009 | 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
The curve is not very well defined, I can see the top of the ramp is chopped off.

Can you rescale the 0-5V input, perhaps x5, I can see the ramp better. The SC seemed to be set to a point where the actual flow signal is over-ampified. What is the SC setting on the gauge?

It is worth do this first before we take a closer look at the hardware. You will be well looked when you have an Aquamist system.
I can rescale it for you, but it will still look the same as it peaks at 3.1 volts and just holds it straight across. The sc is actually below half way, I'd say 3 clicks left from centre, if I put it half way it fills up the gauge. Do you think it's a sensor error or the flow really isn't as it should be? On the gauge itself it's showing 7 bars.
wierd thing is if I put the jumper to CAL, turning SC clockwise makes the gauge have less bars, however for everyday running it's the opposite, turning sc clockwise makes it have more bars on the gauge.

Last edited by burnzy; Dec 28, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 05:49 AM
Former Sponsor

There is a possibility that the "flow-curve" table inside the flow sensor is leveling out. With the new FCM, the newer table will give you a better to range. The "CAL test" is reversed, this is because most sensitive table inside the flow sensor is at the beginning of 0-5V SC scale.

I wonder if you remove the restrictor, tell me if the flow curve (logging) goes up? If this is the case, it will be the restrictor that is peaking the flow. When you have the new FCM, it will be interesting to compare.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

hey richard, here it is rescaled and on another run, I think this was an older one with a smaller a .9 and .4 jet instead of .9 and .8, either that or it had SC turned lower, but as you can see it still peaks out even though the voltage is only 2.5 or so compared to 3.2 on the last graph.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 05:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks again for the second image. We shall see if the new FCM will solve this mystery. I think it will.
Old Jan 12, 2010 | 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

has anyone else logged their aquamist flow, if so could you please put up a graph so we can see what a "proper" one looks like?
Old Jan 13, 2010 | 01:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Here is a plot done on a HFS-5 about 2-3 years ago. Duty cycle is 1:1. I like to check that we are taking the signal in the correct location. I will post you an image file.

Old Jan 13, 2010 | 02:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Just pm you a new location to take the sensor signal from. There could be an impedance mis-match at the previous location.
Old Jan 15, 2010 | 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a plot done on a HFS-5 about 2-3 years ago. Duty cycle is 1:1. I like to check that we are taking the signal in the correct location. I will post you an image file.

what location was this log taken off? as in which pin?
Old Jan 30, 2010 | 11:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Does not look good, you are getting some knock counts near peak boost where WI should be maxed. Looks like system is just mirroring IDC for fluid flow and not using boost. Do you have a log of AFR you can add, cant see color on above chart.