Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

AFR issue with AEM kit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
AFR issue with AEM kit

I just installed an AEM meth/water kit, using 99.5 pure Methanol mixed at 50% with water, installed the largest nozzle that came with the kit & tested the system & every thing seems fine, the pump is operational & pumping the meth/water mixture. The problem is that my AFR didn't change with meth on! At certain WOTs it only changed by 0.1 (went from 11 to 10.9).

Has anybody encountered such problem with the AEM kit?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you have your start/full spray set at?
When you tested it, did you do it with the nozzle attached and out of the pipe to actually see the meth flowing? Maybe there's a blockage at the nozzle point.
Also, do you have the check valve installed? Is it in the right direction of flow?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have any logs. What size injectors (primary fuel) are you using?

+1 on checking for flow. I would disconect from your meth tank if possible and run a line from bucket of water. Then force the system to manually trigger so that you can watch the flow. You want to meassure how many gallons it flows in one min.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raasfaas
what do you have your start/full spray set at?
When you tested it, did you do it with the nozzle attached and out of the pipe to actually see the meth flowing? Maybe there's a blockage at the nozzle point.
Also, do you have the check valve installed? Is it in the right direction of flow?
For testing sake, I set the start at 2 PSI & full at 39PSI (my actual boost was set very low at around 11psi because I was in a testing phase. I tested it with the nozzle attached out of the pipe & saw meth flowing, but I'm not sure if the pressure was at the right strength!

Originally Posted by mt057
Do you have any logs. What size injectors (primary fuel) are you using?

+1 on checking for flow. I would disconect from your meth tank if possible and run a line from bucket of water. Then force the system to manually trigger so that you can watch the flow. You want to meassure how many gallons it flows in one min.
Stock Evo injectors, 560cc never exceeded 55% duty cycle in the log due to low boost while testing, 91 octane.
How many gallons/min it should normally pump? I'm using the largest nozzle in kit.
I was told something about an orange wire that needed to be grounded in order to achieve full pressure, I'll look into that also.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by foxbat
For testing sake, I set the start at 2 PSI & full at 39PSI (my actual boost was set very low at around 11psi because I was in a testing phase. I tested it with the nozzle attached out of the pipe & saw meth flowing, but I'm not sure if the pressure was at the right strength!

Stock Evo injectors, 560cc never exceeded 55% duty cycle in the log due to low boost while testing, 91 octane.
How many gallons/min it should normally pump? I'm using the largest nozzle in kit.
I was told something about an orange wire that needed to be grounded in order to achieve full pressure, I'll look into that also.
Normaly it should be flowing quite a bit with the largest nozzle. I would definetly look into the grounding issue. Full flow on a progressive system is quite important. I would make it flow at full strength as early as possible. You are looking to replace about 25% of your primary fuel flow with 100% or about 15-20% if using 50/50. Do you have a check vavle in place?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mt057
Normaly it should be flowing quite a bit with the largest nozzle. I would definetly look into the grounding issue. Full flow on a progressive system is quite important. I would make it flow at full strength as early as possible. You are looking to replace about 25% of your primary fuel flow with 100% or about 15-20% if using 50/50. Do you have a check vavle in place?
What is a 'check valve'? I'm not sure I have it!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

The check valve ideally will be located at the nozzle. Older versions had it inline. Newer versions have it built into the nozzle I believe. I will try to dig up some info. They have info posted up here somewhere.

The check valve prevents the methanol from dripping after spraying.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.aemelectronics.com/water-...valve-kit-1209
These are the ones that came in the older kits.
Like mt057 said, they prevent the methonal from drippin after spraying...it's a one way valve, and it also helps to keep the methanol as close to the nozzle as possible (given that you have it mounted closely)
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Are your nozzles full silver, or do they have a black body?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Black body, silver tip. My kit is brand new
The nozzle has a valve & a spring inside it.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Ok that means that your check valve is built into your nozzle, which eliminates the chance of what I said about the flow direction.
This may seem like a silly question but I have to ask it...are you sure that you connected the boost line to the aem progressive controller box?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, boost line is connected to the controller. Is it possible that I'm overshooting my actual boost level because of full spray being set much higher than my max boost?
I know that the test button is working, so, I'll press it for a few seconds while the car is in idle & see if it affects AFR. At idle, AFR is around 14.7 so a good burst of meth should drop it to around 13 or otherwise it would mean that the system pressure is not sufficient!

I'll keep you guys posted after I do my next round of testing
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Well having the full spray set higher than your max boost will essentially decrease the amount of meth flow, but it should still show a significant enough decrease in afr.
Does the led light on the controller flash any error codes?
Keep us posted.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any updates?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

i think the main problem here is of your settings..if the controller is progressive your min and max points is too far out and your boost level is not even half close to the max point..so there wont be any much meth that will be injected..

Quick Reply: AFR issue with AEM kit