Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

How dangerous is meth really to my car?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How dangerous is meth really to my car?

I really dont know much about about meth but i am trying to learn everything I possibly can. I know everything we do to our motors that is aftermarket is dangerous but how dangerous is methanol really to my motor? I am doing a fairly decent build right now with cams a turbo and a few other things and was looking into possibly doing this as well. So all advice is welcomed thank you everyone.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by evo9mr87
I really dont know much about about meth but i am trying to learn everything I possibly can. I know everything we do to our motors that is aftermarket is dangerous but how dangerous is methanol really to my motor? I am doing a fairly decent build right now with cams a turbo and a few other things and was looking into possibly doing this as well. So all advice is welcomed thank you everyone.
Depends on the amount you run. Meth is dangerious, but if you do correctly it is fine. I know other members will have there say and there reasons why its dangerious and best thing I can say is pay attention to them. When I ran meth in my car I always ran 50/50 mix with only yellow bottle Heet and distilled water. Also make sure your system has a built in fail safe and or put one in being that is one reason it is dangerious. I run a Labonte kit myself which has a built in fail safe with a #14 jet. Now I run e85 I don't use it. Hope that helps some. Next time you go to Strictly Imports tell whalen Brian 5150 said whats up.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been running methanol for years. I love it. I do a lot of driving and don't want to have to fill up anymore than I already do.

I run 100% methanol. M1

My advice is don't go cheap on a kit if you buy one. I am partial to Aquamist due to outstanding customer support and a easy to tune reliable product.

No matter what you decide to use for fuel. Err on the side of caution. That last little bit of hp is not worth losing some cushion.

Last edited by mt057; Feb 7, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 06:53 AM

John says what up brian
Old Feb 8, 2012, 07:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by evo9mr87
John says what up brian
Tell him I need a 2.4 block for the evo cheap.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8gB-_4-1EE

its some bad stuff!

on a serious note, i agree with cursedsm. if you have a good meth kit with a fail safe added in you should be alright as long as your not on the ragged edge. also if your gonna do it id recommend drilling and tapping each individual cylinder port on the intake manifold as this is the best way to ensure a perfect mix into each cylinder kind of like a direct port nitrous setup.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Usually the tb elbow is sufficent enough. You want it to atomize before it hits the combustion chamber.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I was running the AEM Meth kit and the AEM Injection Monitor. They work very well together.

Here is a video of my car where we are testing the failsafe, in all conditions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPzBp-ch6to

As long as your car is tuned well, and you leave a little bit of a buffer, you will have a great and safe meth setup. I was able to squeeze out 400/400 on RRE's Dynopaks, with 50/50 water meth. Also something that a lot of people do not do is solder every wire, and shrink tube every solder joint. Install is critical, and many people overlook the fact that a meth kit is a secondary fuel system and should be treated as such.

So to sum it all up, Meth is not dangerous to your car, only your tune. If you take your time and tune your car well with a good failsafe map, it is just as safe as running race gas in your tank.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:15 PM

It may be dangerous to your idle air control valve if you spray before shutdown. Cost me $300 to remedy it, but allowed me a loaner through 3-11 with a free tank of gas, which is never a bad thing.