Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.
View Poll Results: Are you showin' to CAL SLAM stage 2?
Wouldn\'t miss it...I\'m there!
80.77%
Damn, I can\'t make it...I suck.....
19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Cal Slam Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2003, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn...forgot the link
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=618
only about 30 min's away
Old Feb 28, 2003, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

i wanna go...i might bring a Mirage owner or two with me...how does this work? i wanna spectate...damn i wanna work on the course so i can get some really cool action shots...but most of the jobs are taken up already...oh well...
Old Feb 28, 2003, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Trance...I think we should reserve 3 or 4 spots....we can always come together centrally for campfire/boozefest.... and to everyone EVERYONE IS WELCOME...you don't have to own a Lancer to come along..just a general appreciation for cars in general and the want to have a kick *** time!!!!
Old Feb 28, 2003, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

i'd like to get a rough total since i don't know how many sites i can get for free (i think just one) but the good thing is that max amount for a state park camp site is only $13 (beats the $60+ for a hotel and prob more fun)drop me a line and i will have all the info on monday when my boss comes back to work and hooks me up
Old Mar 2, 2003, 01:51 AM
In Timeout

Exclamation Latest Communication from The Rim

Ok, all you CAL SLAMMERZ! Here's our latest communication from the Rim of The World Rally organizers, so please read it carefully! Any questions? Please PM or email me directly, as I'm the principal contact for CAL SLAM Stage II:

To: "Newma Net Works" <sysop@newma.net>
Cc: <Marymountdenise@aol.com>; <jeeptrix@uneedspeed.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: Rim 03

Hi, Stewart,

Thought I'd pass on the plans for the Saturday morning activities at Rim (and Friday as well)! so you can plan your meet accordingly.

Vendors' tents and displays must be up by 11:00 AM Friday morning. The rally cars and service crews will kind of trickle in from about 1 PM to 5 PM when most of them will be in the parking lot above (assigned parking). By 6 PM all rally cars must be down in their assigned spot on the field. Rally start is 7 PM and will take about an hour and a half. Service after three stages (up above in the parking lot) will be from 9:30 PM to about 11 PM.

On Saturday, FYI, we have asked all Subaru owners to be down on the field in rows in their Owners' Show area by 10 AM for judging. However, their awards will not be until 1:30 PM so they will be on display for several hours. All rally cars must again be down on the grass in position by 10:30 AM. The rally restart is at Noon and will last just over an hour - during that time NO ONE can go up or down the access ramp as we are allowing the rally cars to "zoom" away in an exhibition of speed.

The implications for your group are that they should try to get there early so they can be on display all morning. Those of your group that have assigned jobs on the rally (spectator marshals especially) will need to leave earlier in some other vehicles than their Lancers to work their stages, then return to their cars when they are off duty.

We will have security during the afternoon, probably from about 2 PM on, on Saturday, to keep an eye on cars that remain on the field.

Now, can you let me know how your "meet" works? I have no idea what activities are involved. Are you doing an actual car show, or just gathering? Are you planning on putting up a tent or canopy of your own? We STILL do not know how big a display area Mitsubishi will have, but we will park your group next to them!

Please feel free to call this afternoon or evening or any day, actually, if you have questions. There are a lot of people coming to this event and we need to plan every group's movement very precisely. Steve Mendez will be your point of contact for "Pelona Vista" after we get the initial planning started.

By the way, I would not plan ANY parking for your Lancers "on
display" up in the paved parking lot. The service crews and public will fill it and overflow spectators will be forced to park in the southern lot of the soccer field (street parking isn't allowed there). So the grass is great for you - you'll have enough room to park comfortably!

Thanks for your info,

Paula
cc: Steve Mendez (Physical Operations Director), Denise
So, I haven't really heard from enough people, yet...do you really want to volunteer or just hang @ The Rim next to the booth and check out the Evos battling it out with the Scoobies?

Please just click on the PM link next to my nick and ping me to be counted in. Honestly, if you feel bad because you're not sure what you're gonna be doing, or you might be called up, or you might wanna bug out at the last second, or you might get sick or sell your Lancer...I really couldn't care less! If you think you might wanna park your Lancer with the rest of us and you don't let me know, I won't be able to reserve a spot on the grass for you. Period. Pretty simple, huh?

It would be good to let me know who you think you'll be representin', too. Heck, make up a club name for now (Team 888, for example), if you're not sure whether you wanna represent one or another. Like, I don't really wanna read "maybe this" and "maybe that"...blah blah blah...boo hoo hoo... I wanna read what I've been reading from CAL SLAM Stage I participants: "HELL YEAH! I'M IN!"

Anyway, rant over, here's the second part of the message, so read carefully, so as not to misunderstand the importance of timing and being on time, etc.:

To: "Newma Net Works" <sysop@newma.net>
Cc: <Marymountdenise@aol.com>; <jeeptrix@uneedspeed.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 1:19 PM
Subject: Rim rally Saturday morning schedule

Stewart,

I'm not sure I made it clear we would like your Lancers on the grass by 10:00 Am on Saturday! Thanks,

Paula
cc: Steve, Denise
So, if you are planning to attend and you don't own a Lancer (i.e., VR4, Mirage, Eclipse, Stealth, Pajero, some other , pickup truck, Lada, WHATEVER) and you would like to park with the CAL SLAM Stage II group...PM me too. I would also like to see this thread expand as we brainstorm some fun activities we think we can afford to do. Finally, CAL SLAM Stage I was a success because everybody pitched in and contributed in whatever way they thought they were able...we had a logo, Flash site, pamphlets, food, hotel, NBC TV COVERAGE ON THE 6:00 NEWS!...some forum members started to flame, but they soon realized that everything I said could happen, would and did happen. This is due to the excellent folks who all chipped in money, time, talent and spirit.

So far, Troie, Richard Harris, Jeff, John, Karlen and I are the only Californians who are spending our lives thinking of how challenging CAL SLAM Stage II @ The Rim is gonna be! It's you're meet, California! If you own a Lancer and you're gonna represent, make yourself a part of our CAL SLAM sensation!

By the way, you guys rock

L8r

Stewart

Last edited by BOOYAH1369; Mar 2, 2003 at 02:12 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2003, 02:15 AM

wow, good speech, you know if I can come, I'll be there stu.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 02:14 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed the Rim of the World web site now lists Cal Slam as a club they are hosting I listed that on my worker application. I hope to be parking my car there and getting a ride to my work station (Carlos, maybe?) on Sat. Let;s represent you guys!
Old Mar 4, 2003, 02:23 AM
In Timeout

Exclamation !

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends!
We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"

-ELP

Last edited by BOOYAH1369; Mar 4, 2003 at 02:48 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 04:08 AM

Should I have put on my worker app SCLC or Cal-Slam?

I don't know if any of you have gotten work assignments yet, but I am the Chief of Hospitality and I know that they are still looking for people to fill this area. Let me know if that is something that you would want to help out with. There will be time for spectating and what not so that is not a problem.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 05:32 AM
In Timeout

Put whatever you like, only, the Rim Organizers are expecting about 30 Lancers from California...so if you plan to represent your region, then you'll be participating in CAL SLAM Stage Two, and you can park on the grass with the rest of us Slammerz.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

so wheres this meet goijg to take place. Well if its around two hour ill go for sure just give me a time and day where it is ill go for sure.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

its in Palmdale...check out their thread.
i too hope to park with the rest of you guys while i am working.
i almost have the camp site down just waiting on the word from the rangers...getting a group site that can hold up to 30 people...hell ya...so if any of you care to camp with me drop me a line
Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'll be camping....that sounds funnest... I really hope we can fill a portion of the field with Lancers, because I don't want to look too Small conpared to the 75 or so Subbys showing up.....
Old Mar 4, 2003, 12:19 PM
In Timeout

Sweet, Troy!

People who need more information can click on the links in my signature.

I ain't sweatin' it, Jeff. Even if we just had the original Stage I crew, it'd still be a quality experience.

Old Mar 5, 2003, 03:08 AM

i will be there, so count me in, im looking forward to seeing all those same faces at CAL SLAM Stage 1, along with new ones that will be coming down to represent in CAL: SLAM Stage 2.

i would like to work it with all of you guys/gals i plan on submitting an app, so wish me luck.!!

Quick Reply: Cal Slam Stage 2