Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

San Diego Evo's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cracing
whats up guys. i love in san diego and would like to meet up with a few other evo owners and cruize to qualcomn sometime soon. Also i am in need of a quality shop that does quality work at a fair price.
You dont always need to go to a shop to get quality work...what kind of work you looking at doing?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im thinking of doing cams, anyone want to help?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apexsilver9
might want to do head studs at the same time
Old Feb 22, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Roger the only good games out right now are Resistance and...a few other alright ones. You can go online with the PS3 under the playstation store icon and download free demos. Gran Turisimo HD and Formula 1 championship ARE WHERE ITS AT!!!!!!!!! There is an Evo IV and Evo IX GSR in the GT HD demo you just have to unlock them.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apexsilver9
check out garage gt. they installed my cams for a really good price. Cenk just got another evo guy working there so there shouldnt be much of a wait to get your car done.

if you are looking to do head studs, i have a brand new set that i'll sell to you if youre interested
Old Feb 22, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo IX MR
Roger the only good games out right now are Resistance and...a few other alright ones. You can go online with the PS3 under the playstation store icon and download free demos. Gran Turisimo HD and Formula 1 championship ARE WHERE ITS AT!!!!!!!!! There is an Evo IV and Evo IX GSR in the GT HD demo you just have to unlock them.
Ok awesome! Hey I finally finished the 24hrs of nurburgring. That thing took me like 2 weeks to do but I got my F1 car!!! That thing is insane!

Anyways I will donwload the demos I love that F1 game. We should chill again soemtime.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:41 PM

You dont always need to go to a shop to get quality work...what kind of work you looking at doing?
im looking to install cams and head studs as well but unsure of which to go for gsc S1s or jun 264's
Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cracing
im looking to install cams and head studs as well but unsure of which to go for gsc S1s or jun 264's

Well either cam is good. They are both pretty much the same. All cams are pretty much the same between the different brands. The only main difference you will see is the lift.

I had gsc 280's and those gave me another 24whp on pump.

But numbers will differ with different setups and of course you will be using a smaller duration such as the 264. You could stager them like a 264/272. I would talk to your tuner to find out the optimal route for your particular car. If I were you I would consult either RRE or tt.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

They are both pretty much the same?

Roger, you have no idea what you're talking about. Please don't post unless you actually know the answer (not think you know) Your misinformation is becoming rampant on this board.

Jun 264s are NOT the same as the GSC S1s. There is more to a cam than just ADVERTISED duration. They have a very agressive ramp profile and will idle very poorly unless you are running speed density. Also, they aren't recommended for the stock turbo either, so unless you are running something larger, stay away from the JUNs. They can be most closely compared to a more agressive Revolver cam. GSCs will be better suited for a stock turbo car with bolt-ons.

Last edited by nigletsyz; Feb 23, 2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:23 PM

thanks man. were you running the 280's on the stock turbo?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by nigletsyz

Roger, you have no idea what you're talking about. Please don't post unless you actually know the answer (not think you know) Your misinformation is becoming rampant on this board.

Jun 264s are NOT the same as the GSC S1s. There is more to a cam than just ADVERTISED duration. They have a very agressive ramp profile and will idle very poorly unless you are running speed density. Also, they aren't recommended for the stock turbo either, so unless you are running something larger, stay away from the JUNs. They can be most closely compared to a more agressive Revolver cam. GSCs will be better suited for a stock turbo car with bolt-ons.

im planning on installing AMS 50 trim kit in the future. knowing this, which would you recommend?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

gsc s1. You will not benefit from larger cams until then. Your driveablity would suck as well. Even after you install the 50 trim, I wouldn't recommend it. You will need upgraded valve springs and need a really high flowing head to compliment the cams. Not to mention AEM EMS. If you were in another state, I'd say go for it, but its not worth the hassle here, nor is it for a daily driver. The GSC S1s are really a great cam; you won't be disappointed. Or you could go with HKS as well, although the GSC cams seem to make more power everywhere. If and when you do install your 50trim, decide then whether you want to upgrade your cams to perhaps GSC S2 profile. I am guessing you won't need or want to.

BTW, I am running a HKS 280/272 combo right now and it more than enough for the stock turbo. It would probably be better suited for a larger one, but I wanted every last bit of power that I could muster without losing all driveablity. Idle kinda sucks with the setup and the car stalls every so often. I couldn't imagine what it wouild be like on a more agressive cam!

Last edited by nigletsyz; Feb 23, 2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nigletsyz

Omg dude, are you serious? The ramp profles have nothing to do with performance rather the ability for your car to idle smoothly or roughly. Unless you are messing with the lobe separation when dealing with flat heds. Most if not all production cams you will find rough lobe ramps except in custom cams you will generally find smooth lobe ramps. This is common knowledge. Since the jun and gsc cams arent mass produced and they arent one offs the lobes are mostly smooth. Now even though a cam has rough lobe ramps doesnt mean it will idle rough. There are many other factors involved in idling rough. When I had my 280s the car idled fine.

The only number correlated with whethor or not you should use them for the stock turbo is the duration. Ask any retailer this including gsc and they will tell you. Because on a turboed car the duration is the most important thing on a cam because thats how long the valve will be open to shuv more air into the combustion chambers. There is no need for a 280 cam on a stock turbo. Any tech will tell you this whethor at gsc or jun or hks etc etc.

You are mostly thinking of the jun 272 cams when running a speed density ems setup. Because that particular cam has very aggressive lobes you need a speed density based ems to smoothen out the idle so you can optimize power.

I have talked to greg@gsc and ams about these cams very closely and the grinds for these cams between the different companies are pretty much the same differing in mostly valve overlap and in some cases lift.

Again niglet, you can use any 264 cam with the stock turbo. The only thing that will differ is whethor you will need a speed density based ems to handle such a cam so you can negate the air/fuel/timing parameters. Which cracing has. His afc will help do the air/fuel and a dynotune will help with the timing.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Advertised duration of a cam is not the only factor in whether you can use it with the stock turbo, period. You are sorely mistaken. I don't even want to bother dissecting the rest of your post, its so ridiculous.

If cracing is running AEM EMS, then he may be able to get away with running JUN cams. I think its a dumb idea to even consider a cam like that unless you are planning on doing extensive modifications to the rest of the engine. If you are, then go for it. If the plan is for it to be a 400whp street-driven 91-octane drinking car, then the GSC S1 cams are the ticket.

Last edited by nigletsyz; Feb 23, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

I have never misinformed anyone niglet. Show me where I have especially about modifications.

I know what I am talking about cause I have been under this bridge before. I have no intention in getting into a pissing contest with you because its simply pointless. Alot of people here know me and what I have done with the evo. People here know I have put down great times at qualcomm depsite my 2.7 60ft purposefully bogged launch and great times at SOW and that I made more power than you.
Just simply ask david he will tell you that my car ran perfectly strong with just 400whp on pump against big block blown and turboed muscle cars.

In order to achieve a feat like this you dont just go and buy a bunch of parts. You must do your research.

Now I dont know why the animocity when I beleive it was I who helped you out when you needed it when you needed a laptop to download your map and when your girlfriends evo broke down at qualcomm I beleive it was I who was there to lend a hand with some tools till your friend arrived.

So I only ask you why the animocity?

Quick Reply: San Diego Evo's