Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

San Diego Evo's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2006, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well new on the forum but been a member since october of 04. just seeing if you guys are having any meet anytime soon?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Next SCCA autocross event is Oct 7 (that's a Saturday) on the West lot at the Q (basically, right next to where they run the drags).

Event flyer is here:

http://jaycomservices.com/Event_Mana..._06_Flyer3.pdf

Most Evo classes run in the afternoon -- STU, BSP, SM, or if you're modded beyond SM, you'd probably fit best in SU.

If you're pretty close to stock, AS runs in the morning, but unless you're running R compounds, you'd probably do better and have more fun running with the other street-tired Evos in STU in the afternoon.

That being said, if you haven't run the San Diego events this year, you should probably plan on getting there early (before 8 AM) to make sure that you can run -- you might need to buy a number card and they only sell a limited number each day. Get registered and teched, then if you're running in the afternoon, you can leave and come back around noon.

If you want to run, you will work as well -- if you've never done an autoX before, that will probably mean ******** cones and resetting them when other drivers knock 'em down.

You can watch for free, you only need to sign the waiver, get a wristband, and don't get in the way.

(I'm posting this from the Kansas City airport. I'm about to catch a shuttle to Topeka for the autocross Nationals tomorrow...)
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
Hey thats a good idea actually. However, I kinda dont like the track cause its a bunch of cones that dont even make lanes so itskinda confusing. I dunno if people are down forthat. However, I have been wanting to get a bunch of you guys so we can schedule like a track date at button willow or willow springs.
It can be a little confusing if you've never done it before but best thing to do is get there early enough so you can walk the track. Some of the clubs have even been painting the track on the parking lot to make it easier to see where you are supposed to drive. But worst case is if they don't, just walk the track first and have fun. Don't go expecting to break records or be the fastest in your class or anything like that. Its relatively safe being that its in a parking lot and there is little/no risk of running into anything being that they only send out one car every 30 seconds or so. I'd say it's probably the most appropriate form of "road racing" for 90% of us here being that most of us have probably never road raced. It sure is a lot cheaper/closer than a track day at willow springs as well.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hks-mr
well new on the forum but been a member since october of 04. just seeing if you guys are having any meet anytime soon?
The meets going to be on a sat. Not sure of the time. We may do the auto x orthe drags at barona. However, I think we are prolly going t do the auto x cause for one spectators are free and 2 racingis only 35 and its better than doing a drag race. If everone is down to wake up a little earlyon a saturday I tink we have ourselves a meet.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nigletsyz
It can be a little confusing if you've never done it before but best thing to do is get there early enough so you can walk the track. Some of the clubs have even been painting the track on the parking lot to make it easier to see where you are supposed to drive. But worst case is if they don't, just walk the track first and have fun. Don't go expecting to break records or be the fastest in your class or anything like that. Its relatively safe being that its in a parking lot and there is little/no risk of running into anything being that they only send out one car every 30 seconds or so. I'd say it's probably the most appropriate form of "road racing" for 90% of us here being that most of us have probably never road raced. It sure is a lot cheaper/closer than a track day at willow springs as well.
Yeah but the auto x meets are nothing compared to willow. YOU RACE At a TRACK FOR 1 LAP AND ITS OVER IN 70-80SEC OR SO. AT willow you race for 30minute intervals and the track is far more professonal.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:12 PM
Account Disabled

beat me to it rodger^
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Obviously auto x is not going to be as fun as road racing. There's nothing like having no speed limit and passing people in cars that cost 2 or 3 times the amount of yours, but then again, until they build that track in Temecula, auto x at the Q is the closest legal form of racing within 2 hours of us. I've got Saturday off so I'm down for some auto x. Never done it before, only road and drag racing, should be fun. I hope...
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

I wasn't trying to compare the two. I was just suggesting that a cheap, local auto-x meet would probably be more appropriate for the majority here for now. To each their own though
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys. I need to hang out here more often. I keep trying to get Alfred (Tuning Technologies) to move to Temecula/Murrieta. My feeling would be that he wouldn't lose ANY Inland Empire or Orange County customers, but he could grow his San Diego Co. customer base big time.

Last edited by Smogrunner; Sep 25, 2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

That would be badass
Old Sep 25, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Hey guys. I need to hang out here more often. I keep trying to get Alfred (Tuning Technologies) to move to Temecula/Murrieta. My feeling would be that he wouldn't lose ANY Inland Empire or Orange County customers, but he could grow his San Diego Co. customer base big time.
Yeah me and his wife were talking about that whe I was up there. It would definitely be a better idea an he would probaly gain alot more business.

Also I think a auto x meet would be awesome. I am a true racer at hart and any racing is fun for me. I just want to make sure everyone elsefeels the sae way. I dont want anyone to not have a good time.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:34 PM

hey! i'm down for autox on oct. 7th. i'll take that day off. and i can meet all of you guys at the same time. and good location for pics too!
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Ummm not that I KNOW OF. I am throwing a evo meet again on saturday around 5pm at frys cause barona is popping off and I am going to race so after wemeet we are all going to mob over there.
How far is Barona Roger?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo IX MR
How far is Barona Roger?
It is about 30-45minutes dependig on traffic from frys. But its a sweet drive cause of the turns and stuff. But I think we are going to go to the auto x meet at qualcomm.

However, I just found out today that rnr is throwing a bbq at thier shop location. They are having a special for free installation on any rnr parts. And all parts are discounted. So what do you guys want to do?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

It is about 30-45minutes dependig on traffic from frys. But its a sweet drive cause of the turns and stuff. But I think we are going to go to the auto x meet at qualcomm.

However, I just found out today that rnr is throwing a bbq at thier shop location. They are having a special for free installation on any rnr parts. And all parts are discounted. So what do you guys want to do?
Does RNR make a clutch?!j/k

I'm down for both depending on what time the bbq starts.

Quick Reply: San Diego Evo's