Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

San Diego Evo's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Cb429
What up everyone,

I've had my ww evo ix mr for almost a year now and I live in Carmel Mountain. I'm new to the forums and to the whole modding thing. Just reading up on everything I can before I start putting money into my car.

- Chris B
Check out socalevo.net as well if you haven't already

I'm from Riverside btw and Welcome
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is running good on CA's 91 oct with no knock. I've even tried out a full tank of CA Costco's 91 oct and monitored full throttle runs with EvoScan. I still stay away from ARCO/AMPM and other places like that. Of course I had it retuned before I got down here. CA's 91 is nowhere near close to WA's 92 oct. I had it retuned with WA's 89 before I moved. From what I know WA's 89 is just a tad bit lower than CA's 91.

I lost about 30whp from the retune but that is to be expected from Cali's crappy gas. When English makes a visit to SoCal i'm going to have them retune it. I may add a part or two by that time (Cams and/or FMIC). I've been happy with English Racing with my last two tunes so they have me as a loyal customer.

I do a little bit of photography. i'm down to meet up. I'm currently fully loaded with my new job but i'm always up for enjoying the much better weather. Funny that my company will send me back to Seattle for training.

Originally Posted by 93HardTopTurbo
Sup guys. I moved from Bellevue to SD about a year and a half ago and yeah, similar sentiments as well.

divine_evo - how's your car handling the CA 91 pump? My X was tuned by English as well and was pinging in CA. Got it re-tuned by RRE and highly recommend them.

Ping me if you guys wanna hit up Palomar. divine_evo, bring your camera for shots like these:

Shot with EOS 1D Mk III / 70-200 f2.8L IS

IMHO, SD isn't as photogenic as WA but it's not too bad. A few SD snap shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kasezom...7622259539757/

Last edited by divine_evo; Mar 21, 2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by l888apex
Check out socalevo.net as well if you haven't already

I'm from Riverside btw and Welcome
Yeah man! I'm on those forums too.. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

I'm reenlisting in the Marine Corps and getting orders to the west coast. Do you need a smog test to get a Miramar base decal? What about state law, does the state of California require all persons including military to abide to the smog test? I’m not registering my car in California. It's registered in TN where there is no smog, inspection, or emissions.

I currently have no cat or egr valve. If I do need a smog test can I pass with a HFC running E85? I just need to know what to do. Thanks all.

Best way to contact me is by email: andrew.burnette@afg.usmc.mil

Last edited by ch53avitech; Mar 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Also, hows the supply of E85? I saw online there's a couple stations. Inclulding one in San Diego.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:42 AM

ch53, I got out of the navy awhile ago but I believe that being military your car stays in the condition that your home state requires. I'm pretty sure you don't have to smog your car for Miramar and unless things have changed I believe you can leave your TN tags and reg intact. Try socalevo forum to get a good answer as their are allot of active military guys on there in San Diego.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:44 AM

Yeah there are a couple of E85 stations in san diego county. I know for sure there is one on El Cajon Blvd but not sure of the address though.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

That's wonderful news. I really didn't want to convert my car.

Any good tuners? I have a grocery list of parts I plan on getting.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ch53avitech
Any good tuners? I have a grocery list of parts I plan on getting.
Welcome! They're a 2hr drive north of San Diego but I'd highly recommend Road Race Engineering in Santa Fe Springs. They're pretty much an Evo only shop and they tuned my X and installed their TCSST cooler as well.

They've got a Dynapack dyno and the tune is awesome. Ask for Lydia and tell her Brendan from San Diego sent ya!

Closer to home is Reese Tuning whom I've also heard good things about but I've never worked with. You might want to check James out if you don't want the 2hr drive.

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:41 PM

Yeah Reese tuning is in santee which is pretty much San Diego. He tuned my 9 and I had zero problems with the car. Road race is about to get my car for a tune so can't say anything about them till next week but I have read nothing but good things. Depending on where you will be living there are a couple of meets north and south county with some chill peeps.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:44 AM

Whats up everyone? im currently living in the los angeles area but in a few months i will be moving to the san diego area b/c im going to sdsu. Might be living in the la jolla area but thats still up in the air, anyways just figured id say hey an get to know the san diego community.

-Nick
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:50 AM

What up Nick,
If your looking at SDSU I would recommend trying to find a place closer to the school like Mission Valley area or North Park. La Jolla is a nice area but there isn't allot to do for a college age individual.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Weather reports seem to be decent so I'm planning on cruising Palomar. For those not familiar with Palomar, it's a mountain and here's what the road looks like:

It's 7 miles of turns with almost no straights to speak of and an elevation change of 3,280' from the bottom to the top with almost no flat spots so your brakes, tires, and transmission need to be in excellent condition. I'll show you the way to get there and what you need to watch out for. This is a cruise so drive at your own pace and capability.

Mother's Kitchen (restaurant) and General Store are at the top so you won't need food or water.

We could meet up at the Chevron across from North County Fair (next to the Shell right off the 15) at 1pm.

Post here or PM me if you're interested.

Cheers.

Last edited by 93HardTopTurbo; Mar 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by JJay
What up Nick,
If your looking at SDSU I would recommend trying to find a place closer to the school like Mission Valley area or North Park. La Jolla is a nice area but there isn't allot to do for a college age individual.

Thanks and yea i know, my cousin currently lives down there right now so thats the main reason why i would be living in la jolla, unless i find something better. its not really that bad though because we are are to take cabs to pb and all of that.

Do you guys have any meets in the SD area? Where i am at now there are meets like every week or at least every other week.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Didn't get to cruise Palomar last Sunday due to weather. Going this Sunday if anyone is interested.

9am meet up @ Chevron across from North County Fair (right off the 15 FWY exit Via Rancho Parkway, next to the Shell, across from Nordstroms).

272 East Via Rancho Parkway
Escondido, CA 92025

Last edited by 93HardTopTurbo; Apr 1, 2011 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: San Diego Evo's