Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

no cat in california = punishment?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ElectricBlueEvo
What they do is take your car and make you drive a Prius.
That's inhumane.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just take cat cover and put over test pipe. My friend did that and if you look under his car you see the mitsustamp on the cover. Cops have looked under and been fooled by this. In cali I think your still gonna get a hassle cause you'll have to go to smog if the cop is a jerk. Glad I don't live in the land of the Smog *****.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LiLaZnKrAcKhEd
Uh..no. Having a car with no cat is breaking Federal Law and is a fine at about $2000.
If convicted.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

wow, and i thought NY was a flaming homo
Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

just replace your catalyctic converter with a seimoplasmic diverter. You'll easily gain 4/pwhp(per wheel horse power).
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

What about high-flow cats? I've not seen a head-to-head dyno on an Evo (even after a short search), but I'd not imagine the difference between a high-flow cat and no cat to be that different.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

As a cop in CA, I can tell you that you run the risk of anything from a warning, to a fix-it ticket, to a vehicle impound. A lot depends on who pulls you over - if it's CHP, expect at least a ticket. If you **** off the cop and they're feeling vindictive, they can take the car off the road and have it towed to the nearest garage.

There's no "federal" violation as CA state law is more restrictive than any federal law regarding emmissions, and so supercedes it. Do we get fooled a lot, and easily? Yeah. Not all of us are car nuts and if it looks like a cat, well, that's good enough for most of us.

Just remember that most "street" cops feel like they have better things to be doing than tagging cars for fix-it violations, and I'd much rather give a warning and spend my time looking for the real bad guys.

Unless you get pulled over by CHP. It's what they do =D
Old Nov 24, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Well isn't california out of line because no state can make laws that are tougher than the federal statutes. I thought a state cannot supercede the federal government. I guess they just get away with it because nobody has the time, money, or ***** to take on the smog *****.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueEvo
What they do is take your car and make you drive a Prius.

Old Nov 24, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LiLaZnKrAcKhEd
Uh..no. Having a car with no cat is breaking Federal Law and is a fine at about $2000.
uhhh no, florida law, there is no emissions. people drive daily without cats. i have had my 05 evo 8 without a cat since a month after i bought it. as for cali, i heard they are very strick with that.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

You guys in California who think you can break the law and not get caught better think hard about what your doing!

Last edited by WWIXMR; Nov 24, 2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

^lol wtf

Originally Posted by lancermarin
As a cop in CA, I can tell you that you run the risk of anything from a warning, to a fix-it ticket, to a vehicle impound. A lot depends on who pulls you over - if it's CHP, expect at least a ticket. If you **** off the cop and they're feeling vindictive, they can take the car off the road and have it towed to the nearest garage.

There's no "federal" violation as CA state law is more restrictive than any federal law regarding emmissions, and so supercedes it. Do we get fooled a lot, and easily? Yeah. Not all of us are car nuts and if it looks like a cat, well, that's good enough for most of us.

Just remember that most "street" cops feel like they have better things to be doing than tagging cars for fix-it violations, and I'd much rather give a warning and spend my time looking for the real bad guys.

Unless you get pulled over by CHP. It's what they do =D
thanks u're the best.

will YOU run a HFC or tp or stock cat?
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1

lancermarin is a cool guy. not one of those dicks who hate us...he's one of the ones who'd rather go after the REAL bad guys. keep up the good work
Old Nov 25, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by hk2ronin
Well isn't california out of line because no state can make laws that are tougher than the federal statutes. I thought a state cannot supercede the federal government. I guess they just get away with it because nobody has the time, money, or ***** to take on the smog *****.
Often the opposite is true. The Feds will pass some law or EPA regulation and run to the states and say, "This is a nasty law and we are sure you aren't going to like it. But, if you pass a similar law, and by the way it doesn't have to be nearly so strict, and enforce it, then we will leave you alone." The result is the Feds pass the law but the states get stuck with the program and enforcement costs.

Last edited by barneyb; Nov 25, 2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

whats people posting an "i think"?

the thread starter asked a qustion which usually means he's not looking into guessing with the "i think"...

the truth:
unless the officer that pulled you over has a sniffer, or is certified to make the call that you dont have cats in your car, he has to refer you to a referee station.

now from there...its obvious that you are not going to go to the referee with no cats... put your stock stuff back on...go to the referee and have them test it, and you have to pay the fix it fee... $10

the referee and very few certified officers are the only one that can make the call to whether or not your car is legal or not...

if your being a dumass and got pulled then you pretty much deserve to get everything coming to you

Quick Reply: no cat in california = punishment?