Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

***Official HI Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I dropped Mike and Rob's name and I got a discount at Leaf. So it actually does work! lol

GSR4B11, I got my clutch installed at what used to be Sonic Motorsports. I don't remember their new name. They did it in a day and didn't waste my time.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Import dynamics now I think... As long as they aren't busy as **** their prices are super reasonable
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by ElementX
Hey, I dropped Mike and Rob's name and I got a discount at Leaf. So it actually does work! lol

GSR4B11, I got my clutch installed at what used to be Sonic Motorsports. I don't remember their new name. They did it in a day and didn't waste my time.
Got my clutch done at Sonics, was 400 flat rate labor.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by robnval
Lol, I know I know... I just picture our token black man saying it and it still makes me laugh out loud!
Hahaha
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by markjr11bravo
that is cheap! leaf quoted me 1150, so i ended up doing it myself and the 60k mtx. thanks for doing the homework though Rob
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
that is cheap! leaf quoted me 1150, so i ended up doing it myself and the 60k mtx. thanks for doing the homework though Rob
1150 just for labor? Damn....
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, the issue is that places in Hawaii use book labor.. For instance an evo x clutch install is 10.1 hrs of book labor... Then times the labor rate... Which we will say standard in Hawaii is 100/hr.. Leaf does give you guys a discount but honestly when it comes to clutches there is no way they can match Seth's prices. Import dynamics/sonics doesn't rely on labor to stay afloat.. So they can undercut the market... All in all for clutch installs I would go there because of cost. He has done a lot of evo guys clutches on island and I have never personally heard horror stories.. Not from evo guys anyway I'm with you though lost.. I turn my own wrenches
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont mind turning my own wrenches, i think i'm mechanically inclined to do my own projects. but when your evo is your only daily driver and want to prevent any mishaps on the way (which they usually do with me) i rather have a shop do it for a reasonable price. wish i had a beater! LOL
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I'm with you man... I'm glad I have 4 vehicles so the evo can collect dust through the rainy months (its actually raining at my house right now) at the end of the day I would rather turn my own wrenches OR pay a shop that warranties their work (if it absolutely comes down to letting someone else do the work)

Not saying the shop formally known as sonic (prince reference for our token black man) is bad.. They turned wrenches on Tai's car and he never had any issues... But sometimes they get backed up and I'm impatient when I am paying people
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, the issue is that places in Hawaii use book labor.. For instance an evo x clutch install is 10.1 hrs of book labor... Then times the labor rate... Which we will say standard in Hawaii is 100/hr.. Leaf does give you guys a discount but honestly when it comes to clutches there is no way they can match Seth's prices. Import dynamics/sonics doesn't rely on labor to stay afloat.. So they can undercut the market... All in all for clutch installs I would go there because of cost. He has done a lot of evo guys clutches on island and I have never personally heard horror stories.. Not from evo guys anyway I'm with you though lost.. I turn my own wrenches
Well you definatly have not heard my story about them and my clutch, maybe i will talk about it at a evo meet!, but i spent 1200 with them+1200 clutch money. 2400 and still have this weird sound coming from the clutch or the master cylinder.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

Oman... got me wondering now! No warranty on labor is no bueno

Michael.. when is the next meet so we can hear this review of aforementioned shop?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by markjr11bravo
Wow 400 for AWD clutch job. They quoted me 800. This was sometime in May, but I didn't have the funds. Then I've heard all theses horror stories afterwards and it kinda swayed my thinking. I guess Leaf it is then. Thanks again guys! Anyone got their number?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:09 AM

Oman... got me wondering now! No warranty on labor is no bueno

Michael.. when is the next meet so we can hear this review of aforementioned shop?
Thinking about it. Anyone wanna throw out a date?
It seems that no one really shows up anymore.
We got a handful and usually those are the ones that occupy the forums frequently.

I think we should do a BBQ.
How does Next Sunday sound to you guys?
Sunday November 4th. We all can decide on a place that's convienant and what we wanna BBQ.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:10 AM

I'm almost 100% sure they charged him $400 just for labor.
If I remember correctly, he purchased the clutch separately online.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lmao, you know I been asked so many times who bought them and I couldn't remember since I was in Afghanistan! The other set will be FS in the near future too for the clutch I would get with leaf... Mention Michael and the forums for your discount
btw rob my name is Lance if you "forgot" lol

Quick Reply: ***Official HI Chat Thread***