Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

***Official HI Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GT35MR
Is it worth having a sport bike in Hawaii? A guy is offering me a 2010 BMW S1000RR and cash for my cobra just wondering how riding is on the island.
Do it.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by reyjhay2005
hey Rob,my skin is brown is that good enought to take over for mark..lol
Lmao.. no! Mark is like our carlton (fresh prince reference for our young guys)

You were just talking about street racing.. now a bike? Really? I feel a blotter report coming. Buy a kia
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:28 AM

tial QR

Had my tial QR BOV sitting for a bit. I got the boomba adaptor part. Im under the impresssion i still need to get it welded. Where should i take to get welded. ALSO the wifey gave me 7.5k play money for the car. Was thinkin Internals. what would be my best options and rout for the money?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

A blotter report really! I don't think thats going to be the case. At least I hope not lol. I think a bike in Hawaii would be fun to ride around the island. Anyone have a bike that can give there opinion?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tskitski7
Had my tial QR BOV sitting for a bit. I got the boomba adaptor part. Im under the impresssion i still need to get it welded. Where should i take to get welded. ALSO the wifey gave me 7.5k play money for the car. Was thinkin Internals. what would be my best options and rout for the money?
This question requires more info on your side for me.. a lot of us know the car (blakes old car)... BUT it leaves questions..

what are YOUR plans? (show, track prepped, etc?)

Are you happy with current power?

So I guess I will give my broad opinion... internals is a good place to invest, BUT who on island are you brave enough to trust with machining your block? If the answer like mine is no one, then who is pulling the motor/crating/shipping it to the mainland for you? Then who is doing the work there? and on the backside, installing and tuning? Bottomline is that if you go the route of using your block as a core with say MAP, with labor you are looking at that 7500 going super fast (if you sleeve the block or do anything above stage 1 2.0). Then you still wont have addressed the trans, diffs, clutch, head, intake manifold among other things.

Again all of that it based on you throwing internals out there... if it was me I would put it other places since you arent running a T3 setup and your car should still be tuned safely, but that is just my opinion and it is YOUR car

Rob

A blotter report really! I don't think thats going to be the case. At least I hope not lol. I think a bike in Hawaii would be fun to ride around the island. Anyone have a bike that can give there opinion?
Thats exactly what I just did... as far as I am tracking only a small handful of us own bikes (me, jose, anyone else?) is it fun.. sure... is it dangerous.. absolutely.. lots of tourists on the road makes it interesting, not to mention the roads are wet often and people cant drive in the rain
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

What do you think about a 2010 BMW S1000RR 5k miles Nada says its worth around 13,700 it has all the options DTC race ABS ext. 192 at full power but only 150 in rain mode. It seems ike a pretty solid bike MSRP with all the options was just over 16k
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by robnval
This question requires more info on your side for me.. a lot of us know the car (blakes old car)... BUT it leaves questions..

what are YOUR plans? (show, track prepped, etc?)

Are you happy with current power?

So I guess I will give my broad opinion... internals is a good place to invest, BUT who on island are you brave enough to trust with machining your block? If the answer like mine is no one, then who is pulling the motor/crating/shipping it to the mainland for you? Then who is doing the work there? and on the backside, installing and tuning? Bottomline is that if you go the route of using your block as a core with say MAP, with labor you are looking at that 7500 going super fast (if you sleeve the block or do anything above stage 1 2.0). Then you still wont have addressed the trans, diffs, clutch, head, intake manifold among other things.

Again all of that it based on you throwing internals out there... if it was me I would put it other places since you arent running a T3 setup and your car should still be tuned safely, but that is just my opinion and it is YOUR car

Rob

Thats exactly what I just did... as far as I am tracking only a small handful of us own bikes (me, jose, anyone else?) is it fun.. sure... is it dangerous.. absolutely.. lots of tourists on the road makes it interesting, not to mention the roads are wet often and people cant drive in the rain

yea see thats why i was asking. the power is ok would love more power, so i guess could do bigger turbo but not sure what else if i just want mroe power. its not like i NEED to spend the money just seeing what my options are really. Rob what would you do? Also can anyone help with my question about BOV getting welded (have the boomba adaptor)

Also i got a bike, if you get one IMO there is no need for 1000+...i owned r1 when i moved here and sold it after 8 months cause its not fun to drive. Picked up my r6 for 2g cuase buddy needed court fees haha.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:55 PM

What do you think about a 2010 BMW S1000RR 5k miles Nada says its worth around 13,700 it has all the options DTC race ABS ext. 192 at full power but only 150 in rain mode. It seems ike a pretty solid bike MSRP with all the options was just over 16k
not bad..i almost picked up a 2012 s1000rr (even though that much power isnt needed out here IMO cause nowhere to really get on it) with 3200 miles for 13.5....its really up to you though.. 600 or 750 is plenty if your not tryna race cars or other bikes especially since all them horses but nowhere to gallop out here and dangerous with how people drive here. It truley is different haha
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

yea see thats why i was asking. the power is ok would love more power, so i guess could do bigger turbo but not sure what else if i just want mroe power. its not like i NEED to spend the money just seeing what my options are really. Rob what would you do? Also can anyone help with my question about BOV getting welded (have the boomba adaptor)

Also i got a bike, if you get one IMO there is no need for 1000+...i owned r1 when i moved here and sold it after 8 months cause its not fun to drive. Picked up my r6 for 2g cuase buddy needed court fees haha.
Im not sure that I am the best person to ask, but if it was me I would invest in JDM gear.. but I am a junky of sorts. What you could do with the cash is start to focus on things you dont like about the car... for instance, if you want leather or a different exhaust or whatever... I know you changed the color which makes the car yours vs everyone knowing it as blakes old car so it seems like you started to address this already. The other option is like you said, sell the bbx full, buy a t3 setup and tune it conservatively until its in your budget again to build the block etc. I guess what I am getting at is that you have plenty of cash to do a lot of different things.. it just depends what your plans for the car are.. I havent seen it in awhile but it used to need wheels BAD! (disregard... just saw the pic)

I agree on the bike.. jose will disagree since he has an R1. I have an R6 on island and a hyabusa that I left in Texas since the wife is a local and I already knew the deal coming here.

yes, the BMW seems like a decent trade but its all about how much you care about trading away your hotrod. Is Hawaii a good place for a bike like that.. absolutely not.. that bike is made for the track... we dont even have a 1/4 miles much less a track for bikes. You could trade and possibly sell it once you get here for full blue book plus though

Last edited by robnval; Oct 31, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:03 PM

turbo

Rob why would you go T3 over gt35R? im JC is all
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Rob why would you go T3 over gt35R? im JC is all
I'm not sure we are going the same way with this... A gt35r can in deed be a t3. T3 refers more to the housing among other things. So I'll clarify the statement.. I would go with a v-band setup over the stock frame that you are currently running. For 1 its easier to replace and 2 the cost of say a 5858 or 6266 is less than buying a new stock frame when you build the motor down the road and want more power.

Hope that clarifies it a little

Rob
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robnval
I'm not sure we are going the same way with this... A gt35r can in deed be a t3. T3 refers more to the housing among other things. So I'll clarify the statement.. I would go with a v-band setup over the stock frame that you are currently running. For 1 its easier to replace and 2 the cost of say a 5858 or 6266 is less than buying a new stock frame when you build the motor down the road and want more power.

Hope that clarifies it a little

Rob
rob is dead on! t3/t4 setups are the best way to go for making easy power, turbo's are also cheaper in the long run vs stock frame turbos. it takes ALOT more money on stock frame turbo's to produce power, also bigger stock frame turbo's put out alot of low end torque on the block. with a t3/t4 the power comes more to the right of the power band which puts less low end stress on the block. my opinion stock frame turbo's for daily driving and autox'ing, t3/t4 for drag racing or hauling *** i also suggest if you cannot wrench on your own car, wait till you get back to the states to work on the car. shipping rates to hawaii is not worth the performance IMO, nor do i trust ANY shops here on island with the "heart"(motor) of my car.

Last edited by lostsoulsevo; Oct 31, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FA77EN
There is waaaay to many Apex Silver Evos..
for real. and just when you thought you did everything to be different, you google your car color and bam!! you see a car that is near identical to yours.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by geminibby
Since your boat is hosting the JS sub, do you want a ride over to Lockwood in the evo. I'm sure it would make them smile to see a few guys rollin up in an evo.
bro i still dont even know if i wanna go to that. i have bolts to remove on my head and intake manifold tomorrow. lets see my options, 1.work on the evo, 2, host some japanese sailors who drive nissan cubes, 3. work on the evo, and 4. stare at the evo just because blue by you is sexy, then work on it. im still workin on it

but i will shoot you a text and let you know tomorrow at lunch time...ish
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stpkenton
I will text you! I just got my ams timing gear holder, ams tensioner, and spanner for the rollers yesterday. I will help you if you help me

i gotta stop by your office some time for my weekly checkups. so ill chat with you then

Quick Reply: ***Official HI Chat Thread***