Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

***Official HI Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by E2theD
Lol oh damn, I knew that.
If you've got time, I've got a noob question for you lol.
If your getting turbo flutter when your turbo isnt fully spooled, but its fine at higher psi/higher spool, should you just change the Bov anyways? Or is that just normal? I remember just shifting regularly at around 3/3.5k and already experiencing flutter, not that it wasn't totally unexpected though. But I know its really unhealthy for turbos. Don't think my friend has the cash to upgrade to an FP anytime soon either.
What BOV are you running??

I would go with MELLON EMAIL FLASH TUNE!!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:24 AM

There is no real evo meetups so lets start 1. i'm down for a meetup. had a little cruise this past sunday with 4 other evo's and a STi after the heluvaride car show. rolled out to sandys for some pics then 13 turns for a little cornering then H3 to end it off. Was a good time. maybe short notice for some but i'm gonna get some evo's together maybe saturday or sunday to take a cruise to K-bay for the blue angels car show. if and other evo owners are down hit me up for details. name is shawn, 2005 WW EVO VIII. Also gonna do a friday nite meetup @ weikele if anyones down
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by EvoVIII808
What BOV are you running??

I would go with MELLON EMAIL FLASH TUNE!!
I think he's running a Blitz BOV, not sure which one exactly but that's what it sounds like. How does an email flash by Mellon stack up against a actual dyno tune by AMS though? Considerable as an alternative?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

I think he's running a Blitz BOV, not sure which one exactly but that's what it sounds like. How does an email flash by Mellon stack up against a actual dyno tune by AMS though? Considerable as an alternative?
Blitz- I think they flutter at low boost, are they 2 way bov like the HKS SSQ? under low boost levers it pulses(flutters) but under high boost it opens fully.

I think Mellon stacks up very well. AMS tunes to 25psi on pump, and 30 on race, and you have to pay dyno fees.
Mellon asks what boost you want to run and tunes to that without dyno fees (with supporting mods)
I went with mellon when i was running stock ecu,272s,1000cc (before you could unlock everything) and i kicked out 360hp without the wideband numbers. Tuned me from Narrow band information.
Mellon will be here sometime next year to tune too.
I mean Dyno tune is always best, Safe way to get the gear that is needed, and consistant pulls, but for the money i would knock out a Mellon Tune, before paying for Dyno time and AMS tune. Thats just me though.

SuperK:: What time we meeting, and Where?? 7pm?? we should meet at Star Bucks, or book store. LOL

Last edited by EvoVIII808; Sep 24, 2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

A Few Shots from the Helluva Rides Show. Will post the ones from the cruise when i get back from work.

Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does an email flash by Mellon stack up against a actual dyno tune by AMS though? Considerable as an alternative?
I wouldn't run any other tune. Besides he is coming out early next year. So the "email" portion will be eliminated.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:43 PM

nice pics EVOVIII808. yea 7 sounds good. i'll pm you with details
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by EvoVIII808
Blitz- I think they flutter at low boost, are they 2 way bov like the HKS SSQ? under low boost levers it pulses(flutters) but under high boost it opens fully.

I think Mellon stacks up very well. AMS tunes to 25psi on pump, and 30 on race, and you have to pay dyno fees.
Mellon asks what boost you want to run and tunes to that without dyno fees (with supporting mods)
I went with mellon when i was running stock ecu,272s,1000cc (before you could unlock everything) and i kicked out 360hp without the wideband numbers. Tuned me from Narrow band information.
Mellon will be here sometime next year to tune too.
I mean Dyno tune is always best, Safe way to get the gear that is needed, and consistant pulls, but for the money i would knock out a Mellon Tune, before paying for Dyno time and AMS tune. Thats just me though.

SuperK:: What time we meeting, and Where?? 7pm?? we should meet at Star Bucks, or book store. LOL
I don't really understand why anyone would design a blowoff to flutter when its bad for the turbo hah. I think the SSQV sounds nice but its overplayed by a lot of cars, most 240s have them. I'll probably run the stock IX bov I heard it's pretty good til you get to the point where you run high amounts of boost.
Thanks for the information, when my Evo gets down here in December I'll probably go with a Mellon tune then, or I'll just wait til they get here. Especially seeing both of you guys recommend it.

Btw nice pics, some very very nice evos. That's a pretty big CF lip lol.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just crush the stock IX BOV. 26psi proper.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:21 PM

ATTN: ALL EVO OWNERS, its official meetup tonite 7PM @ weikele starbucks. should be a good turnout...spread the word
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:59 PM

Damn. That's way early for me. lol How late will you guys be out?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by the7thsin
Damn. That's way early for me. lol How late will you guys be out?
Same question ^
Old Sep 24, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by superk1980
ATTN: ALL EVO OWNERS, its official meetup tonite 7PM @ weikele starbucks. should be a good turnout...spread the word
Anyone has the address to this place?

Edited: Is it this one?
Waikele Center
94-849 Lumiaina Street
Waipahu, HI 96797

Last edited by Madrican; Sep 24, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Madrican
Anyone has the address to this place?

Edited: Is it this one?
Waikele Center
94-849 Lumiaina Street
Waipahu, HI 96797
Yeah, that's waikele's starbucks. It'll be next to borders (not surprisingly) I live in waikele so hopefully I can come down.

Quick question, from what i've heard radar detectors aren't illegal, but do any of you guys actually use them?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

I don't really understand why anyone would design a blowoff to flutter when its bad for the turbo hah. I think the SSQV sounds nice but its overplayed by a lot of cars, most 240s have them. I'll probably run the stock IX bov I heard it's pretty good til you get to the point where you run high amounts of boost.
Thanks for the information, when my Evo gets down here in December I'll probably go with a Mellon tune then, or I'll just wait til they get here. Especially seeing both of you guys recommend it.

Btw nice pics, some very very nice evos. That's a pretty big CF lip lol.
At low boost it doesnt matter if it flutters. High boost is where is can cause a problem. There are plenty of high HP Supra's runing SSQ's. i think its just a personal choice, or "What people say is good". Mine works just fine and ive had it on for 4yrs now. Before i had it on my Eclipse GST, no problems there either. There are a few more bov's out there they do the same. Blitz, Greddy, Synapse just to name a few.

Ill be there until the"CLUB" Closes.. lol planed it alittle early to try to get some shots in but will see.

Quick Reply: ***Official HI Chat Thread***