Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

wtf? Ticket for exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend told me he heard that any after market part was illegal, even intakes. But i havent seen that written on paper. This is the only thing i saw on. www.dmv.ca.gov/about/leg/leginfo.htm

(new laws for 2004)

Exhaust Systems: Whistle-Tip

Defines a whistle-tip as a device that modifies exhaust pipes so that they create high-pitched or shrieking noises when the vehicle is operated. Prohibits vehicle owners from modifying their exhaust systems by installing whistle-tip devices. A violation of this provision would be punishable by a fine of $250. Prohibits a person from engaging in the business of installing whistle-tips on exhaust systems of motor vehicles. A violation of this provision would be punishable by a fine of $1,000.

More links to California laws on exhaust systems.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=27150-27159

Noise Limits (dba)
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=27200-27207

Last edited by KTRLancer02; Jan 20, 2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

btw...we do not have whistle tips...I have never even heard of a whistle tip before reading this.

SC!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

The whistles go WOOO WOOOO!
Attached Thumbnails wtf? Ticket for exhaust!-woowoo.jpg  
Old Jan 20, 2004, 06:20 PM

lol. well this is my 2 cents:

as long as the exhaust is within legal emissions and noise law, then it is legal. If that cop gave you a ticket. fight it. and this is how. Get you car tested.

a while back a producer from streetracing online was givin the same ticket. his exhaust was too loud. So he took it to a local smog test shop. there they have a db meter or what ever it's called. they tested his car in an open area so that no sound could bounce off the wall and give a higher reading. his exhuast was like 6 db below state required so he passed. not only that, but if you happen to know how much that is in db. that means that his car could have been two times louder and still be under the legal limit. So I suggest you get your car tested and take the proof to court and shove that proof in the cops face.

David
Old Jan 20, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with david, the info (links) i posted above state all of the laws for Cali. So you have every reason to fight this ticket.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

lol that would be dope to prove a cop wrong show him who knows the law!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

man i just saw where you cant have a monitor screen in the front that sux
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:02 PM

wtf? where is that. marguest can you give me a link. I have a tv in mind so I needs to double check it.

David
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

all that info is in my frist link. its the new laws for 2004. sucks huh
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:09 PM
Account Disabled

Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:11 PM
Account Disabled

Modification Devices

38391. No person shall install, sell, offer for sale, or advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, any required off-highway motor vehicle pollution control device or system which alters or modifies the original design or performance of any such motor vehicle pollution control device or system
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

I hurd they went to 92db instead of 95 to be legal.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by pjal84
95 dB limit. Unless he tested with a dB meter (which some cops do have) he really didn't have a right to give you a ticket.

Not true.

Exhaust systems which meet smog requirements but are still too loud. Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise.
Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:16 AM

Here is the scoop my friend got from a lawyer recently...

A cop can give you a ticket for anything he thinks is illegal. He doesn't have to be right, thats what the court decides. Its total B.S., but the law favors the cops.

You best option is to call a FREE lawyer referral service (can be found in the Yellow Pages) the offers free conceltations, so you can talk to a lawyer about your rights.

If you have a C.A.R.B. number that should be all the evidence you need to get a not-guilty. Otherwise you either have to have your exahust tested or switch it out for stock.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

man its gonna be impossible to mod your car soon. i cant believe you cant have an exhaust because of smog? man look at all the diesels and buses that have all that pollution. no one is doing anything about those. oh and fatmitsu i saw it on the link karlen gave it said something like it cant be anywhere from the backseat and up. so basically nothing indash. and its ok to have one like factory cars have the one on the roof that pulls down.

Quick Reply: wtf? Ticket for exhaust!