Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

wtf? Ticket for exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2004, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found this a while back, maybe it can help: http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=1115
Old Jan 23, 2004, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

okie heres the dealio.
Pretty much most big name manufacturers (i.e HKS, Greddy, Trust, Apexi) make legal catbacks, meaning they both comply to emissions and sound.

Now about emissions, the catback exhaust does not alter any emissions because your CATS are still in place, so technically it doesnt even count as an emission control piece.

About the sound decible, the law in California has changed to where the citing officer deems the car to be too loud, can write a citation for it (it used to be that they cant,but now they can).

On the other hand, some officers do carry decible meters in the vehicles, if you're nice, sometimes they'll test it on your vehicle.

Now also, if you want to clear your fix it ticket, two things you can do, go to a smog station and get the noise level tested (or you can go to a stereo shop, they definetly have decible meters) or if you purchased an exhaust from a big manufacturer, go talk to their customer service and have them send you a carb cert. Show that to the judge and your clear. Also for future references, i'd keep that carb cert in the car so if you get pulled over again for the exhaust, you can wave that piece of paper in the cops face and say fu(k you!
Old Jan 23, 2004, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by army685
thats ****ed up cause u wont see a cop pull over a mustang,camero, or a trans am there **** is way 2 loud and its stock. ****in *** holes!
yup yup! I got pulled over many a time in my mustang. Flowmaster exhaust, H-pipe (catless), headers, cam... the car just sounding like a complete beast!

They never said **** to me. =P

I even had one cop chat it up with me about my car. What track I race at, what's been done to it, and blah blah blah.

Honestly... they don't like imports, it's that simple.

Last edited by Ultor; May 10, 2006 at 05:11 AM.
Old May 9, 2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by rebelzx
The whistles go WOOO WOOOO!

very nice... Bub Rubb is the man !!!!