Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Works aperture or lower IC pipe?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 02:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoni420
hey jamie is the lower intercooler pipe honestly worth it in your opinion, do you think there are big performance gains on it or not?
Not having installed one on my own car, I can't really give an honest review. In theory, it should help, but to what extent I do not know.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
Not having installed one on my own car, I can't really give an honest review. In theory, it should help, but to what extent I do not know.
Dam the kid's good! Run for office!

I have heard the AMS lower IC pipe offers some gains, I have one I havn't had time to install yet. I'll post my impressions and if it throws my tune off significantly.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

I'd get the works throttle body over the ic pipe. I have one and I noticed better throttle response and some more power
Old Jun 21, 2005, 04:55 PM

i just recently got a aperature. definately better response and seems as if it smoothens everything out =D so for sure a bit power difference. but overall the response it better. hope that helps
Old Jun 21, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

i have the helix upper and lower intercooler pipes and noticed a difference with spool. it was a little quicker, like everyone else says, but i think it helps along the way for more boost. the stock rubber piping will eventually expand under more boost.

i am looking at getting the apeture II also, but may get a different turbo instead. i was also thinking of getting a set of 770cc injectors and having WORKS reflash my tune to provide a little more boost since i almost got beat by a fully modded 87 mustang. he couldnt leave me top end and i couldnt leave him either. it was from a roll at about 35mph and he has a strong car. fully ported/ polished heads,big valves , trick flow stage 3 cam, long tube headers, 3:55 gears, full built bottom end, 24lbs injectors, edelbrock upper/lower intake ported, 65mm TB and spacer, centerforce DF clutch, etc.

okay back on topic-in my opinion, intercooler pipes are intercooler pipes. most all of them are the same and use the same materials-aluminum. some, of course, are SS, polished, etc. but read closely-they are typically all between 2.25/2.50 inches for the pipes. the lower pipe is actually the restriction. some have different fittings for different bovs, but it is up to you. get one, get the other , or get both. youll feel the difference. i did.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Compjoc
I have some more mod money and am stuck between getting a AMS lower IC pipe or a Works trottle body. The throttle body will complete my TR-340 kit but it's twice as much at the IC pipe and i will have a couple days down time with the trottle body. Both I hear help with spool up and give a little extra HP. Anyone with the P2 have experience with these two mods? Does Works offer a flash for IC piping?

Thanks

I finally bolted on the AMS lower IC. pipe (on top of a P2, without a re flash) and have been driving on it for about a month.

First off I can't understand how this pipe does anything as the ID of both ends off the pipe are the same as the stocker, Just the center section seems to be bigger.

However my car hates it. Can just this pipe throw off my tune that bad? I checked for boost leaks numerous times, but found nothing. It seems to have developed a more harmonic vibration at WOT and does not feel as strong.

Any thoughts? Could it really change things enough to need a re-flash?

Does works recommend or prefer any type of data logging hardware or software for remote customers?
Old Jul 31, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Well, i finally got my parts in (AMS lower ICP, 10.5 hotside, Works aperture, and works air filter (went back to stock air box)). I noticed a nice difference, but still need a tune. I also found out yesterday that my cam timing is advanced 1 tooth on both exaust and intake cams. I'm gonna go fix the timing and see what that does for me. I was hoping the Works water injection would be out by now so i only have to send my ECU in once.

Tyler from Works said earlier in this thread that you'll need a reflash if you get new IC pipes cause it will throw off the P2 boost control.

Last edited by Compjoc; Jul 31, 2005 at 11:44 PM.