Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Idle FP Green

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle FP Green

WORKS, I've been driving my Evo quite a bit over the last two weeks with the new P2 FLASH from you guys. However, I'm having some trouble starting the car. When the car is cold and I start it starts with a little sputter at first and then it's great. When the car is warm and I let it sit around 5-10 minutes after driving it and then try to start it the car has to turn over for 4-8 seconds. Is this normal? Is there any kind of adjustment I could make in ECU Flash?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injectors usually cause starting issues...do you have injectors on your setup?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe its time for a custom tune...you have a lot of mods--all of them will require something a little different on each car to get it rt on... Nothing against Works--I think they have given you all they can without seeing the car... Just an opinion..
Old Feb 28, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

WORKS, I'm still having problems with my car starting when the engine is warm. However, I need to clarify that the problem occurs after running the car for a while, and then letting it sit for 35 - 45 minutes. I've gone to a couple of different tuners attempting to resolve the problem with no success. This weekend I will be testing the fuel injectors I purchased from you guys to make sure they aren't leaking internally. If you have any input or advice that would be great.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I found the problem. After switching my fuel injectors (780cc WORKS) with my brothers stock fuel injectors on his car (also used his latency map) the problem is non existent. WORKS, can I send the fuel injectors back for an exchange?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xtremeIX
I found the problem. After switching my fuel injectors (780cc WORKS) with my brothers stock fuel injectors on his car (also used his latency map) the problem is non existent. WORKS, can I send the fuel injectors back for an exchange?
i have the same starting issues with almost the same setup(fpgreen and pte 780cc injectors). so it's the injectors and not the tune?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

In every case it's not the injectors; sometimes it's the latency scaling not being setup correctly.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same issue with my P2R flash, uneven and inconsistent idle properties after time. I'm running the PTE 780's with my Green, and got tuned by Mellon to iron out those issues after a little frustration. You can click the link in my sig, and he can get you lined out no problem!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

I contacted WORKS and they're working on the problem. They are looking at the possibility that it's a latency or scaling problem rather than a problem with the injectors.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

This seems to be one of the common Injector scailing and the latency issues. Many tunners with little time on their hand will just concentrate on the WOT power and call it a day.... leaving your fuel trim unchecked!. I bet your car is not supplying enough fuel when it is in idle state(I sometimes do it intentionally to save more fuel ). That is the most common problem of the starting issues. giving more latency values around 14v from table usually fixes the problem.

Large injectors are great when it gets paired with AEM or other stand alones but stock ECU has some limitation that most of large injectors can't be scaled correctly.
Usually with stock ECU, making Idle trim correct results in too rich for mid fuel trim . But stock ECU wil take care of this rich mid fuel trim issues when the long term fuel trim value settles.

Last edited by taenaive; Mar 9, 2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, I worked with a couple of tuners to try and resolve the problem by logging my idle at 2 minutes, 5 minutes, and 12 minutes to check the short, mid, and long fuel trims. After checking the logs the trims all checked out okay with some adjustments. However, after these adjustments I still have the hard start problem when the car is warm. I would be okay with the fact it's just a problem with some of the Evo's that have larger injectors but I've talked to people with similar setups to mine and they don't have this problem.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

WORKS, I've been working with Pete on the problem with the hard start and haven't heard from him lately (sent him a few e-mails). I uploaded videos to youtube showing the start problem and sent him an e-mail with links to the videos. Can you send me an e-mail with an update?