Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Question on Works Exhale TBE for Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on Works Exhale TBE for Evo IX

I'm looking to get the Works 76mm turbo-back exhaust with high flow cat for my Evo IX. My question is about the O2 sensor in the cat.

Now I'm new to this car and I haven't taken a look around underneath it yet, but in the service manual it shows an O2 sensor plugged right in to the center of the cat, and the Works HFC does not appear to have an O2 sensor in it and only lists an application for the Evo VIII (which I'm guessing does not have this O2 sensor).

So what happens to this O2 sensor? Is there a bung at the beginning of the Works intermediate pipe for it and would this supply the proper readings in an intermediate pipe vs. being placed in the center of the cat?

What I want is a TBE that is very OEM-like in fit and finish, which is what brought me to consider the Works system. The O2 question is really the only thing keeping me from ordering it right now, as I'd rather not have to take the system to some unknown muffler shop and have them do some poor welding job putting an O2 bung on the thing (I've had bad experiences with muffler shops doing crappy work). I need something I can bolt on and off for smog checks so direct fitting parts without modification is important to me.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Well as everyone calls me "WORKS fan-boy"...but so be it...to all you naysayer's I say "You get what you pay for" so here is my recap of your message post.
------------------
Question: So what happens to this O2 sensor, is there a bung at the beginning of the Works intermediate pipe for it and would this supply the proper readings in an intermediate pipe vs. being placed in the center of the cat?

Answer: Yes, and yes the readings will be fine.

Your comment: What I want is a TBE that is very OEM-like in fit and finish, which is what brought me to consider the Works system. The O2 question is really the only thing keeping me from ordering it right now, as I'd rather not have to take the system to some unknown muffler shop and have them do some poor welding job putting an O2 bung on the thing (I've had bad experiences with muffler shops doing crappy work). I need something I can bolt on and off for smog checks so direct fitting parts without modification is important to me.

My comment: This is the nicest exhaust that follows the same pattern/jig as the factory exhaust, fitment is identical to stock. So, no worries here. Might I also recommend you get the "coated" downpipe instead, and then combine that with the StealthWORKS muffler if you want to keep it a bit quieter and keep the factory look for when you goto the dealership, that's what I did.

I have had the WORKS TBE components on 2 different cars my 2005 VIII I owned and now on my 2006 IX that I now own.

IMO it's the nicest exhaust system out there that fits just like factory and performs (and what I mean by performs is in both function as well as performance) the same if not better (IMO, better) than everything else out there, it may be a bit more than some others, but quality, fitment, and proper function are bar none the best.

Plus, the people at WORKS stand behind everything and offer excellent customer service which is also what you are paying for if you ever have any questions or problems. I can't emphasize this enough in my last 3+ years of dealing with them and their products!

Last edited by Smoothgangsta; Aug 15, 2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

WORKS FTW!

F the haters, you do get what you pay for...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info, and yes I'm definitely someone that can appreciate and will pay the premium for quality, fit, and finish in aftermarket parts for my car. I'll definitely be giving Works a call and hopefully I'll be rocking their TBE with StealthWorks muffler shortly.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:03 AM
Account Disabled

SurferX,
We've been a bit short staffed lately and the phones have been crazy, so if you have trouble getting through, please send me an email and I'll get back to you on your order or any questions you have. You can also leave a message on the phone of course.

bmertz@worksmotorsports.com

thanks
-Bill@WORKS
Old Jan 25, 2008, 02:50 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SurferX
So what happens to this O2 sensor? Is there a bung at the beginning of the Works intermediate pipe for it and would this supply the proper readings in an intermediate pipe vs. being placed in the center of the cat?
Yes, WORKS also includes a plug for the IP bung if you don't have a need for it. (Personally, I prefer relocating the sensor to the IP and using the plug on the original bung at the IX cat. This allows for easier swapping of the cat/HFC/RTP as your needs see fit.)