Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Product Announcement: Brain Flash P2

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The instructions I got said not to install the ecu or run the vehicle without the new line in place. I don't see how it would do any harm just to drive it up the ramps but I wasn't sure. I didn't realize how hard it would be to get my hands in from the top and by that time I already had the airbox out.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think it is any easier to get you hands in from the bottom.

I just put a manual boost controller on today and it was a pain.
I've got it set at 19psi and it still tapers down to 17.5 close to redline. Without the mbc the car was spiking to 20 and very quickly settling in at 15~16 psi. It didn't do that until after I installed the test pipe. She is running great now though.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 09:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by slt

To hold boost untill redline involves changing one variable in the programing. Then you adjust AFR and timing to match and there you go. This isn't black majic rocket science.
you have to change hexidecmal numbers "00 28" to "FE FE"
Old Oct 10, 2003, 09:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by MP5
Its simple really it is- Its not like works has actually engineered anything all they did was buy a software program and sit at a pc viewing lines of code thats been converted into easy to read packets. Now if we are talking about engineering look at the Xede or the TXS UTEC they are actually engineering hardware from the ground up specifically for the EVO

True dat
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:40 PM

smoktowt nodoubt

Mmmmm....ok. Leggo the bong.

Originally posted by BLKEVO8
Hey you guys talking about xede and dynoflash remember you for what you get.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Mayhem, Mojo, I agree, I too will also stand by WORKS as they have given me nothing short of their best effort in all cases. Unfortunately the other tuner never returned my calls and never shipped product I ordered after it was paid for. WORKS on the other hand have seen to it that parts and programming were made available to me at any time I need them and as fast as I need them.

Next year our Evo will start campaigning in the NHRA Street class and after much thought and discussion we’ve decided to use WORKS products exclusively. I’ve seen nothing posted here to change our minds.

It appears that Al has taken a short cut through the ECU code using largely increased boost to make good power. That’s fine if that’s all your looking for or think you need it to go along with other mods but I want more than that. I want improved gas mileage, I want the car to run at 7000 foot elevations in the Sierras, I want to be able to pass the periodic emission tests, I want the car to run on 91 octane gas, I don’t throw out all those things as others might to sacrifice for the almighty HP number. I owned ticket getters in the past, I don’t want another one. Also, in the future it would be nice to see truly independent comparisons of identically prepared cars, not one with a boost advantage and then this BS of “looky, looky I make more power”!

With that said something else that was trampled in the hateful rhetoric of this thread is the fact that when you purchase the P2 as a first timer your also purchasing P1 so you have all the added benefits of its programming as well. I’m willing to bet that the folks at the WORKS can also easily come up with a boost only flash.

Do the same thing Dyno Flash has done for the same price, playing field is suddenly level again isn’t it?

Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Works is a solid company with excellent products and customer service and support. Although I have no idea how much time they put into R&D, I believe that the the reliability and repeatability of their products is a reflection of their attention to detail.

I have been using the original P1 93 octane re-flash with the Exhale pipe since Works released it this past spring/summer, and have put close to 5 thousand miles on the products. Great power improvements, no weird surging or driveability issues in weather conditions ranging from 38-105 degrees farenheidt.

I have absolutely no doubts that the P2 will be every bit as reliable. I trust Works commitment to providing well engineered solutions, and then standing behind them with a warranty. Someone mentioned that Works was not Dinan, and should not expect to be respected as that caliber of a tuner.

Having had exposure to Dinan, I can tell you that Works is the closest thing you will find to Dinan, and they embrace many of the same philosophies when it comes to providing quality products and engineered solutions.Probably the biggest difference is that Works products actually provide excellent hp/tq returns as compared to the cost of Dinan upgrades and the minimal hp/tq ipmprovements you see as the result of tuning normally aspirated engines.

Given enough time to continue to prove their business strategy, they will prove themselves as a leader and a reliable channel for parts and services.....well-engineered enough to be sold through dealerships just like Dinan.

The real issue at hand at this point is simply that the pricing of the P2 was more than folks expected. This obviously has created a major onslaught of negative energy towards Works and their products in a very short period of time.

I personally have faith that the folks at Works are listening to customers, and that they will try to make things right in some fashion. At the same time, people do need to strike a balance and realize that Works isn't one guy with a re-flash tool. They are a group of folks committed to providing creative, reliable products for customers that want the ability to upgrade the power of their cars without having to dyno-tune everytime they add a new component.

This process of creating component-optimized performance upgrades is a tedious and time consuming one, especially when the engineers are working on developing something other than off-the-shelf solutions.

Lets see how things progress.......

N10S

Last edited by N10S; Oct 11, 2003 at 10:25 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I've heard nothing but good things about Works in terms of product quality and service. Just need the price of the p2 to be cheaper
Old Oct 11, 2003, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BushBurninEvo
I've heard nothing but good things about Works in terms of product quality and service. Just need the price of the p2 to be cheaper
Old Oct 11, 2003, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still want to know why the P1 price went up too!
Old Oct 11, 2003, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

wtf

This is similar to what ahppened to VIshnu in the WRX world they brought out exide like product, then they came with a flash at the same price about 750 CObb tuning brought a flash develpoed in house like the works P2 one to market at 400$ and killed them its inexcusable that works is charging this much for a flah when the identical product from COBB developed in a very similar fashion for a not totally different car and they charge half as much for it

they are being greedy 550 should have been the max

and all old customers should have had a cash and carry deal fgor say 75$

but hey thats business.

one parting shot even DINAN one of the most well reputed, egotistical, and expensive tuners in Nor cal charges "only" 450 for its ecu software for FI BMWs
Old Oct 11, 2003, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Here is what Works said before the p2 came out.

(2) WORKS customers who already have the Brain flash will get the enhancement sooner, and for less money, than new Brain flash customers. This is WORKS way of taking care of our existing customers and ensuring that once you are a WORKS customer, that we do our part to make it easy and cost effective for our loyal customers to stay up to date with new product enhancements and features.

Yea, they are really doing their part in making it easy and cost effective for their loyal customers.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 11:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm probably one of the most pissed, open supporters of Works quality... I just want to clear the air on that subject... I always have, and still, maintain that Works products are a notch, or a few above all of the rest. My problem lies in their pricing lying 30 or 40 notches above the rest also. It's the crappy advertising/marketing, and the misleading of their original customers I take issue with. I love my 93 P1 from Works... Texas heat, rain, quick temp changes, good gas, bad gas, my heavy foot, and never a hiccup... not one. It's smoother than stock ever was, and more power and better gas mileage to boot. I would probably love the P2 also. It's the principal of the thing now...
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

So when is David from Works coming back from Vacation, it seems like if he wasn't there and no one else can answer questions, why did they release the P2, when you launch a new product almost 100% for sure people will have questions
Old Oct 12, 2003, 02:52 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know but he better get off the beach in Tahiti soon or wherever he is that doesn't have an internet connection. Dynoflash is posting some nice Dynos #s, lots of them, and giving all the data.

Who knows maybe they're selling 1000s of the $750 P2s Maybe he's down depositing all the cash in offshore accounts

I totally agree with you Zeus.

" It's the crappy advertising/marketing, and the misleading of their original customers I take issue with. "

This forum is a perfect example. They should be using it to work for their company and yet they don't. They should have someone designated to get on here and answer legitamate questions, not just let issues like this persist to the detriment of their company and customers.

Last edited by mojo; Oct 12, 2003 at 03:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Product Announcement: Brain Flash P2