Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Works 269 Cams Dyno Numbers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by UFO

You can't just add **** up, it doesn't work like that You can't say 'well exhaust gives 20 and intake gives 10 so I expect 30' because it ain't gonna happen in the real world. However, I am with you on the numbers as they do seem low.
I know what the P2 does by itself and with or w/o exhaust. I'm trying to estimate the Cams since noonce will post any damn dyno charts for these!!!!!!

Plus, this is on the WORKS website:
"Add over 25+ whp with the WORKS cams"

If they boldly state that, then I would think they would actually put down much more on average. Just my 02.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted a thread on SoCalevo.net asking about Works 269 cams. I had a response from an Evovled member stating that Works were using sub-standarad blanks in the making of these, can anyone elaborate on this subject?..... Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by prosailortim
I posted a thread on SoCalevo.net asking about Works 269 cams. I had a response from an Evovled member stating that Works were using sub-standarad blanks in the making of these, can anyone elaborate on this subject?..... Thanks
Oh boy, that sounds like a pretty bold statement. Who was this 'evolved' member and how would they know?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Whoever posted that the blanks that these cams were built on are inferior is full of ****. Pointedly full of ****. I just had them installed in my car at works last night, and watched the work being done. They are truly beautiful pieces. If this individual won't say who they are, and what the point of factual reference is regarding this, they need to shut the hell up. Tired of this kind of crap on this board.

Percy Howard
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by hagakure
Whoever posted that the blanks that these cams were built on are inferior is full of ****. Pointedly full of ****. I just had them installed in my car at works last night, and watched the work being done. They are truly beautiful pieces. If this individual won't say who they are, and what the point of factual reference is regarding this, they need to shut the hell up. Tired of this kind of crap on this board.

Percy Howard
For what it's worth I went to that forum and found the thread:
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewt...afd85c14f48aec

Who is "they"? GokuSSJ4
Old Jan 15, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Well, first, as for all the comments about gains being lower than expected, they arn't.

When I spec'd out this package with Pete, he estimated that we'd be making somewhere around 60-70 flywheel hp more, which is exactly what we got.

I didn't go with Shiv or Al because I didn't want the most power out of my car regardless, I wanted a _safe_ and comprehensive package. From taking with Pete and David, I'm not worried at all about engine failiure due to my setup and that alone is worth the 5-10whp that Shiv _might_ have been able to tune on a dyno. Why the hell would I have bought 7k worth of mods to have a 285whp car if I really cared that much about huge power at this point? I wouldn't, I would have gone straight to Bushnar's stage 4 or a custom turbo setup that would make well over 400whp.

This car turns perfectly, drives perfectly, and out accelerates almost everything that would be remotely fair to compare it to. For me that's performance.

And for the record, if I want 400whp ... all I'd have to do would be to drop in the Works turbo, ti springs/retainers, and WI and I'd have it _easily_

Nuff said.

-S ...
Old Jan 15, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Wow. I wrote all that and still managed to forget a few things.

First, remember that all these dyno's are with California 91 Octane (crap) while many of the Cam'd / ECU / Exhaust cars you might be comparing with will be with gas anywhere between 93 and 100. That makes a huge difference (~10whp?)

Second, the Exhaust sounds better than it ever did stock, but doesn't sound boomy or anything. I was really supprised given that it lacks a muffler etc. It sounds mean but not ricy at all

The fit is perfect as far as I can tell. I am getting a lil rubbing on somthing (I think it might be the sway bar but I'm not sure) but WORKS is going to look at it in the next few days. I'll keep everyone updated.

Finally, WORKS said that for a baseline run, my car was the highest they had seen at 230whp. I believe more normal numbers are in the 215-225whp range. This is going to have an effect on the total gains as obviously its harder to get from 230 to 285whp than from 220 to 280whp.

-S ...

Last edited by jstockdale; Jan 15, 2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:11 PM

jstockdale

Do you still have the stock cat on?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by rodw
jstockdale

Do you still have the stock cat on?
Yep. That's another thing that could be swapped for higher gains.

-S ...
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Is there really a difference when swapping from the stock downpipe to an aftermarket if you don't change the cat to either a test pipe or hiflow cat?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jansolo
Is there really a difference when swapping from the stock downpipe to an aftermarket if you don't change the cat to either a test pipe or hiflow cat?
Depends what you are considering as important. For flow characteristics, remember that the Works DP is ceramic coated which will keep the exhaust temperatures hotter on the way to the cat. This results in a less dense gaseous mixture going through the cat (since it's hotter) and increases the speed of the exhaust. This in turn decreases the back pressure caused by the cat.

Also, I believe that the higher temp and less density through the cat should improve the performance of the cat, and reduce emissions.

-S ...
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jstockdale

First, remember that all these dyno's are with California 91 Octane (crap) while many of the Cam'd / ECU / Exhaust cars you might be comparing with will be with gas anywhere between 93 and 100. That makes a huge difference (~10whp?)
-S ...
Good point, I didn't think about the 91 octane. How much better would you guys estimate that 93 octance would get?

Forget racegas, let's be realistic.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jstockdale

Depends what you are considering as important. For flow characteristics, remember that the Works DP is ceramic coated which will keep the exhaust temperatures hotter on the way to the cat. This results in a less dense gaseous mixture going through the cat (since it's hotter) and increases the speed of the exhaust. This in turn decreases the back pressure caused by the cat.

Also, I believe that the higher temp and less density through the cat should improve the performance of the cat, and reduce emissions.

-S ...
But I would imagine that while the difference might be there, it would be not be very perceptible to the driver. Would it be a 10hp difference? 5hp? I get the feeling that simply installing a decent hiflow cat along with a downpipe would theoretically yield decent results. Naturally, the only way to quantify it would be to throw the car on the dyno.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Well, if anyone really wants definitive numbers and is willing to pay for a set of dyno pulls on the 24th at Vishnu, I might be able to talk Pete into reflashing my car to the 93 Octane custom map temporarily. Then I'd just get it flashed back to the 91 Octane custom map immediately afterwards.

I'll even pay for the 100Octane racegas to mix with the 91 Cal crap.

-S ...

~ps I really don't care whether I know what I would get with a setup I don't have on gas I can't buy, so this is solely an offer for anyone that cares. I'm not trying to get free dyno time, I already got that from Works, and this won't benifit me.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jansolo

But I would imagine that while the difference might be there, it would be not be very perceptible to the driver. Would it be a 10hp difference? 5hp? I get the feeling that simply installing a decent hiflow cat along with a downpipe would theoretically yield decent results. Naturally, the only way to quantify it would be to throw the car on the dyno.
Correct as always Jan.

The fact of the matter is at the moment I don't really care. The car's running amazingly and the extra 5hp I might get from the cat isn't really worth it to me at the moment.

Now, if I end up getting the Turbo kit, then I'll do the high flow cat (and it _will_ be noticable).

-S ...

Quick Reply: Works 269 Cams Dyno Numbers?