Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

269 cam lifts

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2004, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, it means it's not carb exempt hence it has the possibility (high one) that your car won't pass smog and hence not legal for street use. But.....well, you know the drill. =)
Old May 12, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tama_mog
Yep, it means it's not carb exempt hence it has the possibility (high one) that your car won't pass smog and hence not legal for street use. But.....well, you know the drill. =)
Is that just for the strict CA guidelines, or everywhere in the US?
Old May 12, 2004, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure it's everywhere....smog regulations is less strict in other places but you still neeed a carb #.
Old May 12, 2004, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Is this with all CAMS, or just problems with the 269's??
Old May 12, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

all cams, you won't be able to find ANY carb exempted cams for the evo other than stock.
Old May 12, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

…most everyone selling speed equipment that doesn’t make the CARB grade use some sort of disclaimer, “competition only”, “off-road use only”, and things along that line. If you live in a state with no check system go for it.

Question (since Jan reminds me of something I’ve wanted to ask for sometime now), if the Service Engine light never comes on with these cams, and the light mainly serves to monitor pollution related parameters, will it pass smog? Or am I asking too much from that little light?

Rick
Old May 12, 2004, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

so..... any word on what the lift of these bad boys is??
Old May 12, 2004, 02:01 PM
Account Disabled

Wink

Originally Posted by ogvw
Dude..... max lift is max lift - I know your cams have more than 6mm of lift?? I think that you are getting advertised duration numbers confused with lift, duration is sometimes measured differently by different manufacturers - not lift. All lift numbers should be measured at the valve....

Every manufacturer designs maximum lift and then multiplies it by their specfic rockerarm ratio to give you a "published" number. Each manufacturer is different and unfortunately there is no universal number. Sometimes the rockerarm ratio even differs between the intake and the exhaust. The WORKS 269 Power Cams .25" Intake lift and .23" Exhaust lift still stand.
Don't forget about ramp angles and other features which contribute to a good cam profile.

Last edited by TylerO@WORKS; May 12, 2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old May 12, 2004, 02:11 PM
slt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Is that just for the strict CA guidelines, or everywhere in the US?
Just CA. The C in CARB stands for California. Here in good ol' MO they are perfectly fine and legal.
Old May 12, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TylerO@WORKS
Every manufacturer designs maximum lift and then multiplies it by their specfic rockerarm ratio to give you a "published" number. Each manufacturer is different and unfortunately there is no universal number. Sometimes the rockerarm ratio even differs between the intake and the exhaust. The WORKS 269 Power Cams .25" Intake lift and .23" Exhaust lift still stand.
Ok but what is the lift at the valve? We know the specs for all other manufacturers (HKS, Tomei, Jun, etc.).... enlighten us!

Don't forget about ramp angles and other features which contribute to a good cam profile.
Agreed!
Old May 13, 2004, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Tyler,
What size of exhaust works best with teh 269 cams? A 2.5" or a 3"?? (asking in general, not the exhaust works has to offer).

I am considering the cams in the future, but want to finish out my exhaust first, and want to 'maximize' it.

Thanks.
Old May 13, 2004, 10:37 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by boomn29
Tyler,
What size of exhaust works best with the 269 cams? A 2.5" or a 3"?? (asking in general, not the exhaust works has to offer).

I am considering the cams in the future, but want to finish out my exhaust first, and want to 'maximize' it.

Thanks.
2.75" is the perfect size for the stock turbo. This has been dyno and road tested. Even with all the bolt ons, 2.75" just flows better than 3".

I would choose 2.5" over 3.0", but 2.75" is ideal.

Old May 14, 2004, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

2.75" is the perfect size for the stock turbo. This has been dyno and road tested. Even with all the bolt ons, 2.75" just flows better than 3".

I would choose 2.5" over 3.0", but 2.75" is ideal.

am I missing something here?? 2.5" exhaust show me one stock turbo car that makes more power with a 2.5 or 2.75" exhaust than with a 3". *waiting*

Any word on the cams? What is the max lift at the valve?
Old May 14, 2004, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ogvw
am I missing something here?? 2.5" exhaust show me one stock turbo car that makes more power with a 2.5 or 2.75" exhaust than with a 3". *waiting*
Actually I've heard that with the 3" you can loose a little power down low, but you usualy gain it up top. Just a trade off. I think it's buried in that huge exhaust thread that's like 600+ posts.
Old May 14, 2004, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Yep, the way works approach making power isn't for a stupid spike on blah blah max power....max power means next to nothing. It's about a wide powerband that stays. With that said, the 2.5-2.75 exhaust works better on a stock turbo because you don't lose your lower end power but you won't gain as much up top (difference is minimal up top anyways). In result, you have a broader powerband.

Quick Reply: 269 cam lifts