Notices
WORKS - California WORKS is a tuning shop that specializes in the Lancer Evolution. They in-house design performance products for the Evo, so if you have a request come on in and let them know! [Visit Site]

Works Rear Swaybar Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2004 | 08:44 PM
slt
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Works Rear Swaybar Review

Quality is top notch and it makes a world of difference. I picked this up after reading a review of another swaybar's results in a popular magazine. What they said is true, firming up the rear end is what this car needs. Only problem is that its a bit of a pain in the *** to switch it out on the Evo. You really do have to disconnect one of the lower control arms to put it in. I would say this sway bar made the same size difference in the character of my car as the P2 did. Highly recomended.
Old Jun 11, 2004 | 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

what other suspension mods are you running, if any?

is there any steady-state understeer left in the car or does it break away at all four corners equally now?
Old Jun 13, 2004 | 01:40 PM
slt
Evolved Member

Rest is stock. 0 toe, -1.5 front, -.6 rear camber. The car is much easier to rotate now. There are some onramps, turns and corners aound here that I take quite often and this bar made a huge difference. The car still understeers in the real tight stuff, like in the parking lot, but on the onramps its awesome. You can step the back end out much easier and steer the car with the throttle. Neat stuff.
Old Jun 15, 2004 | 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

With a 24mm bar it's possible to get it in without unbolting the control arm but it's a monster PITA!!! Took me at least 20 minutes (each) to take out the stock one and get in the new. Definitely worth it.
Old Jun 15, 2004 | 03:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by redvolution
With a 24mm bar it's possible to get it in without unbolting the control arm but it's a monster PITA!!! Took me at least 20 minutes (each) to take out the stock one and get in the new. Definitely worth it.
When I install them here at WORKS, I always drop one of the control arms.

How did you get it on without dropping the control arm?

Or should I ask, how big of a hammer?

Last edited by TylerO@WORKS; Jun 27, 2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2004 | 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Just got my sway bar in today and the difference is actually very noticable, though I have a bit of money put into my suspension (coilovers, rear strut tower bar and different lower tie bars). I was taking an on ramp right after I got the bar installed and the back end seemed to be more compliant and I was able to basically take the turn with even less effort. What setting did you put your rear sway bar at?
Old Jun 28, 2004 | 07:31 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jansolo
What setting did you put your rear sway bar at?
I keep mine on the middle section. My car spun in the rain a few months back and I don't want to repeat that. Aluminum links are expensive.
Old Jun 28, 2004 | 08:28 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm looking into rear swaybars now.
Old Jun 28, 2004 | 08:35 AM
ob4
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by redvolution
I took off only the muffer.
Old Jun 28, 2004 | 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slt
I keep mine on the middle section. My car spun in the rain a few months back and I don't want to repeat that. Aluminum links are expensive.
That is the same setting I have it at. I haven't had the courage to tighten it up too much since I don't think I am ready for a car with oversteer yet.
Old Jun 28, 2004 | 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

I have a 24mm hollow rear bar (lighter than the stock bar) which, while stiffer than the stock bar, is not as stiff as a solid bar. That's why I feel confident setting it at full stiff (still has a touch of understeer, but not much). See my site for more detail:
http://cracknut.com/cars.adp (top 2 links mention the swaybar).

I'll have a more thorough handling analysis from the 6/30 EOC event at Streets sometime later this week.

As for the installation, first I removed the muffler. Then I tried to install it when the car was on ramps but couldn't get it. I realized the control arm didn't have to be unbolted if I could get a bit of drop at the wheel. So I put the car on jackstands and voila, I could finish the job. Whole thing took ~3.5 hours including breaking the fast and modifying (dremelling) a couple parts (not the bar itself but an associated washer/bolt).

Tyler or Jansolo - can you host a couple high-quality videos for me? They are the videos of the soundes I posted earlier. Plus I have a video of the Defi boost gauge showing P2+exhaust (23psi peak, drops down to ~21 sustained).